Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Big Guns

oscarquebec

I'm still researching my wife's grandfather Sergeant 32086 Albert Yerrell RGA who qualified as a gun layer on Malta in December 1913. He has written on the back of one of the pictures "This is one of our guns" sadly there is no date. I've no idea where the pictures were originaly taken, as a post card I guess it could of been anywhere. Any information about these huge guns would be appreciated.

post-86894-0-81500300-1336052686.jpg

Could be at Shoeburyness. It is not at an operational emplacement.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks Tony

That makes sense, we have a couple of photos of the Artillery Barracks and Sergeants Quarters at Shoeburyness. Are these pictures of siege guns?

Regards Mal

Not sure. They look more like coastal defence guns to defeat ironclads.

Someone who knows more that me about the big ones should be able to help.

Regards

Tonye

Slight problem here, there has never been an 11 inch gun in UK service. The only 11 inch mentioned in Maurice-Jones' History of British Coast Artilery are those arming German warships.

The gun looks latish 19th C, and is somewhat similar to the 10 inch. The cradle mounting the gun and fitted to the wagon could be a fortress mounting used for coast artillery at that time.

Thank you. I now know that BL is Breach Loaded but more detective work required on the remainder. blink.gif