Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these WW1 British uniform trousers ?

viking_raid

Gents, I need help clearly identifying these trousers. Links to photos below. Please let me know your thoughts:

Are these:

-WW1 or post war ?

-Military or civilian ?

-if Military, are they WD issue or Military civilian tailor made ?

-For other ranks or officers ?

-Infantry or Calvary ?

Trousers 1 Trousers 2 Trousers 3 Trousers 4 Trousers 5

I think these are post WWI - and certainly not issue (but possibly private purchase although the labelling suggest to me that they are commercial and not "bespoke") possibly sold in the US or elsewhere outside the UK) I would describe them as breeches rather than trousers too.

Looks to me as though the buttons are plastic or vegetable compound and that would suggest WWII vintage to me as would the black enamelled eyelets around the lace holes.

I have a couple of pairs of WWII vintage bedford cord dispatch rider breeches somewhere and they are much higher waisted than these also.

I do have a pair of WWI vintage cord breeches that came with an officer's tunic - they are a lot pinker than these appear... but I would need to dig them out to check on other details.

There are others far better qualified to comment but there is my 2p!

Chris

Thanks Chris. Anyone else have any thoughts ?

I think these are post WWI - and certainly not issue (but possibly private purchase although the labelling suggest to me that they are commercial and not "bespoke") possibly sold in the US or elsewhere outside the UK) I would describe them as breeches rather than trousers too.

Looks to me as though the buttons are plastic or vegetable compound and that would suggest WWII vintage to me as would the black enamelled eyelets around the lace holes.

I have a couple of pairs of WWII vintage bedford cord dispatch rider breeches somewhere and they are much higher waisted than these also.

I do have a pair of WWI vintage cord breeches that came with an officer's tunic - they are a lot pinker than these appear... but I would need to dig them out to check on other details.

There are others far better qualified to comment but there is my 2p!

Chris