Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question on glengarry and dicing (Updated with pictures)

geluveld

I have searched the forum to find any info, but in the end I'll have to ask the question...

Today I bought a glengarry with black leather trim, red tourie and white/red/blue dicing.

Allready having the 'more common' Scottish regiments glengarries, I now wonder what regiment this glengarry is affected to. As normally is it red/white or red/white/black dicing.

On this cap is it most distinctively a red/white/blue dicing...

There's no badge fixed, but remnants of a small (but non-readable) paper tag in the cap.

(Can't take pictures at the moment, digital cam has gone west...)

Thanks very much in advance for any help

Kind regards

Today I bought a glengarry with black leather trim, red tourie and white/red/blue dicing.

Allready having the 'more common' Scottish regiments glengarries, I now wonder what regiment this glengarry is affected to. As normally is it red/white or red/white/black dicing.

On this cap is it most distinctively a red/white/blue dicing...

This is a slightly confusing issue if you're not aware of it. Most period glengaries that do appear to be black with white/red/black dicing are in fact actually blue glengaries with white/red/blue dicing. However, the blue used in both was usually so dark as to appear almost black to the naked eye. Much like Police uniforms, this has lead over time to the actual adoption and use of black instead of blue on more modern made glengaries...

Given that the leather trim generally suggests a WW1 era glengarry, I wonder if its not a manufacturing variation or similar that has actually used a shade of blue that is distinguishable as such for once?

Hi Andrew

The glengarry itself is in a very dark blue, so that is spot on.

The dicing however is very distinct blue. Not like in clear-sky blue, but a fainter colour than the body of the glengarry.

In that case, as you tell me that this is a normal pattern glengarry, it can be used for any Scottish regiment using normal (ie not Argyll pattern) dicing. I can then mount any capbadge on the cap. As it is absolutely mint condition, never been badged before.

Cheers

Ramses

Sorry Pharoh, I fear I boobed somewhat... I was going from memory, and something at the back of my mind was saying to me this was where I'd been in error before. Most normal glengaries are blue, but diced red/white/GREEN (with the same caveat as before in that the green usued was usually so dark as to appear black, and the modern change to reflect this). So if it is indeed blue, unless it is faded from green or manufactured in blue in error I am not sure what it would be for. The link below actually has a fairly good period guide to glengaries in use (although it is not without some slight errors!):

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168542&st=0

With the help from my dad's camera:

a couple of pictures of the glengarry.

As you can see, the dicing isn't green nor actually blue as well...

Holding it in good daylight, is now even has a shade of purple in it.

Clearly visible is the leather trim, dating it in the great war-era...

Inside there's a trace of paper label, but partially fallen out. Only part of the size is still readable on it...

Pictures might be of some help...

Cheers mate

Pharoah

post-8975-0-85563300-1333562018.jpg

post-8975-0-91781900-1333562028.jpg

3rd picture

the inside of the glengarry with partial paper label

Could this possibly be one of the lately-discovered batch of glengarries? I remember that a while ago a batch of caps was found in an old costume-hiring company. A large number were the plain glengarry type, but were there diced glengarries in that lot as well?

post-8975-0-69009100-1333562093.jpg

I have put below some pictures of my own original standard blue glengarry with red/white/green dicing (and a very good illustration of just how dark the green actually was). Something to note is how the dicing is actually constructed. It is actually woven as part of the cap, and not a seperately applied piece. Yours would appear to have some form of seperately applied or constructed dicing, and a lot of more modern made glengarries are constructed this way.

Having seen the pictures, my best guess would be that whilst fairly vintage, possibly not military?

http://postimage.org/image/p60u24ljt/full/

Glengarry_001.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/iliieteln/full/

Glengarry_002.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/wxi27lj4p/full/

Glengarry_003.jpg