Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M1917 enfield and No1 Mk111's

Khaki

A work colleague of mine showed me a website picture of the receiver of a 1917 ERA enfield, the interesting feature was that the serial number had four distinct punch marks, one to the left of the serial number block and three others evenly spaced under the numbers. I told him I had no idea what they represented, they are definitely simple punch marks and not anything else. To add more curiosity to this he stated he had seen the same on several No1. Mk111's. Why would this have been done and when and by whom???

khaki

A work colleague of mine showed me a website picture of the receiver of a 1917 ERA enfield, the interesting feature was that the serial number had four distinct punch marks, one to the left of the serial number block and three others evenly spaced under the numbers. I told him I had no idea what they represented, they are definitely simple punch marks and not anything else. To add more curiosity to this he stated he had seen the same on several No1. Mk111's. Why would this have been done and when and by whom???

khaki

How about providing the link you were shown so we can see what you are talking about? Any possibility of this?

Chris

Hello Chris,

I will have to ask him what site it was on, all I know it was an online auction and if it has closed the image may have been deleted, anyway I will try, in the mean time it was simply a close up of the receiver with the normal ERA and serial number, with the added deep punch marks, it must have taken some force to punch into a hardened receiver.

ERA

* * * this approximates what I saw, but with round punches.

khaki

sorry cannot line up punch marks