Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant 32086 Albert Yerrell RGA

oscarquebec

I'm still researching my wife's grandfather Sergeant 32086 Albert Yerrell RGA and have found more documents. The third line down of his certificate of transfer to Reserve on demobilization dated March 1919 shows his Unit and Regiment. RGA is clear but I do not understand the other numbers and letters. I know he was in Malta (he appears elsewhere on GWF) but help would be appreciated to understand the rest.

post-86894-0-53382500-1336064213.jpg

Also, after serving two years in the Army Reserve he was notified to join the 'Army for Permanent Service'. The document is headed Mobilization of the Whole Regular Army Reserve. He reported for duty in April 1921 and was finally discharged after 113 days. Could someone tell me what the final 113 days was all about?

Also of interest is his Soldier's Demobilization Account dated February 1919. Makes you think!

post-86894-0-38604200-1333131319.jpg

4/1 SARB is No.4 Battery at No.1 Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade at Shoreham. By this time it was mainly being used as a dispersal centre rather than for training.

You haven't shown if you have any documents for any units that he may have served with in a theatre of war, which I would say he must have done. Which unit/units, and where, would be very difficult to find if you haven't something written down; it could have been anywhere, Salonica, or possible transfer to home before going out to France.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

We know he was in Malta in 1915 as we have a pass issued to him 1st June 1915 from Assistant Provst Mashal's office to enter the Vadala prisoner of war camp.