Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Uniform

Guest Sue Easter

Guest Sue Easter

I'm very new to this - so please forgive me if I get it wrong.

I have attached (hopefully) a photograph of one of my great uncles in what I believe is the uniform of the Royal Army Medical Corps - he was a dentist.

Could someone please confirm this uniform for me and also explain the chevrons on his right sleeve and anything else which might be useful. It is probably slightly distorted as I have had to reduce the size.

Thank you in advance.

Sue

post-88930-0-55449100-1333097009.jpg

Certainly appears to be RAMC and the inverted chevrons on his lower right arm are "overseas service" chevrons indicating that he'd served overseas for at least two years, so the photo was probably taken c.1918/1919.

I'm very new to this - so please forgive me if I get it wrong.

I have attached (hopefully) a photograph of one of my great uncles in what I believe is the uniform of the Royal Army Medical Corps - he was a dentist.

Could someone please confirm this uniform for me and also explain the chevrons on his right sleeve and anything else which might be useful. It is probably slightly distorted as I have had to reduce the size.

Thank you in advance.

Sue

Plus looks a tailored jacket. Looks a fine fit. 1918-19.

Simon

Royal Army Dental Core did not come about til 1921. So dentists in WW1 will be badged RAMC.

Dentists are or to be rebadged.............RAMC. Things go full circle!

...the inverted chevrons on his lower right arm are "overseas service" chevrons indicating that he'd served overseas for at least two years, so the photo was probably taken c.1918/1919....

Not necessarily - the way they were issued after they were introduced for service in 1918, was that each soldier was essentially entitled to one stripe the first day they served overseas, and not entitled to the next until he had accumulated a further 12 months overseas service (with an allowance of up to 4 weeks home leave to count towards it still). For a soldier who had served overseas in 1914 the first stripe was red, for a soldier who hadn't it (and all subsequent stripes, even for those who had served overseas in 1914) were blue. As he has two blue stripes up it would be fairer to say he has more than one years post-1914 overseas service, but less than two.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sue Easter

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my query. Sorry I've taken so long to thank you all.

Simon - his father was a tailor!!

Sue