Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Frederick Henry Wickham Guard

corisande

I am trying to get more information on this man's service in North Russia

Lt Col Frederick Henry Wickham Guard - click for my fuller notes he had a GSO 1 appointment and appears to have been Ironside's Chief of Staff (I stand to be corrected on that)

Testimonial written by Major-General Ironside, C.-in-C. Allied Forces Archangel, on 27 April 1919: ‘Lieutenant-Colonel Guard has served with the North Russian Expeditionary Force since its commencement in the Summer of 1918. As a fighting commander in the early stages, he proved himself capable to the highest degree. He then directed the organisation and training of the Russian National Army until, through the sickness of the Chief General Staff Officer, he was called upon to fill his place. He proved himself an officer of strong character with great power of organisation. He leaves for demobilisation, to my regret, as he has been my standby during many anxious days.’

One odd thing I came across was on his medal sale is written that his Order of St Vladimir was confirmed in Army ‘Confidential’ List. I have no idea what this means

He appears to have gone to Russia in summer 1918 and left around April 1919, but I do not have exact dates. The only book I have is on Murmansk (Maynard) rather than Archangel.

Hi

After the Russian Revolution, the Confidential List was produced so British service personnel could receive Russian awards for service with the Allied Intervention without the usual process of being Gazetted in the London Gazette, as was the way that permission to receive & wear was normally given.

Most of the personnel never received their awards as the White Russian Govt fell before delivery plus a lot that were sent were stolen.

Frederick Henry Wickham Guard was also awarded a CMG LG 1 / 1/ /1919 fwith the heading Archangel & a MID 16 / 1 / 1919 with the heading North Russia.

He was awarded the Order of St Vladimir 4th Cl with Swords

All this info comes from Ray Brough's Book "White Russian Awards"

He also had a French Croix de Guerre LG 21 / 7 / 1919

Peter

Peter thanks for that - as you know I am no whizz with "foreign gongs"

As a matter of interest can the "confidential list" be accessed through London Gazette index or not - really just wondering what other nuggets might be in it.

Sorry no, as stated they were never gazetted as the Brit Govt basically wanted to play it safe if the Reds won then there would be no "Official" awards.

Rays book is very hard to get. I will check my records, I'm sure I have the file No at Archives.

I will get back to you ASAP

Peter

Found it easier than I thought

WO 32/5411 Decorations & medals: Regulations governing acceptance & wearing of Russian decorations 1918-29

This file sets out how the provisions were determined for the acceptance and wear of Russian decorations after the Revolution. It also contains a copy of the so-called ‘Confidential’ list of Army personnel who had been awarded Russian decorations after the Revolution and which had not been gazetted. There is incomplete correspondence from 1929 suggesting that some awards to the 28th Light Cavalry of the Indian Army had been omitted from that list.

Peter

Thanks very much for that reference, I will add it to my list of things to look up when next at TNA.

• 2 years later...

There is a lot of information about Frederick Guard on the web and I wonder if it comes from anyone here. I would like to use some of the information for an exhibition in a small museum and would like to ask for permission to use it. Frederick Guard grew up in the house which was next door to this museum in Romsey. He had a very different war than the son of this house who was the same age as Frederick, he was Thomas Moody and was killed within two weeks of being posted to the Front.