Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Nationality?

vollketten

I came across this picture in a newspaper from 1918 and was hoping someone here may be able to tell me what nationality the soldier is.

image_681x432_from_3172,3706_to_7021,6150.jpg?download=True

It looks like it started as a real photograph of a soldier which was then touched up with the gas mask etc. From the helmet and captions I am thinking maybe French but I do not know my uniforms well enough to know. Any ideas?

I just reviewed my post. Sorry there isn't much to go off. Any help would be appreciated.

The text surrounding the picture is English. The labels are a bit strange. Most seem French but a couple are English. I think it is a drawing. It may be based on a photograph. Do you know which paper it is from?

The text surrounding the picture is English. The labels are a bit strange. Most seem French but a couple are English. I think it is a drawing. It may be based on a photograph. Do you know which paper it is from?

The Newspaper was American (New York) from August 1918. It looks like a drawing on top of an original photograph to me. What about the gas mask?-any idea of the nation of origin?

I thought this might be an interesting one.