Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Holts- Western Front North

Ali Hollington

Picked this up yesterday as I have found the Ypres and Somme books worked for me, this edition covers The Yser, Mons, Le Cateau, 1st, 2nd, 3rd + 4th Ypres (in small detail), Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge, Festubert, Loos, Vimy, Fromelles and Arras. As it is the average size (just under 300 pages) for a Holts book it can't cover so many areas in great detail but a first scan seems good if only to attract my attention to some of the less covered battles. Has anyone with good knowledge of the above areas had a look and have any comments?

Ali

Picked up a copy in Delville Wood this week, and have been flicking through it. Highlights some lesser known parts of the front, and should be useful for anyone's next trip to these areas.

I personally would have liked to see more on some of the cemeteries mentioned, and I noticed a couple of mistakes in the first look through it. Eg. they refer to the Battle of the Lys as 'Fourth Ypres, which is not correct; that was a battle fought in Flanders in September-October 1918. They also seem a little confused on the 5th Division; their description of a memorial to it near Vimy seems to imply it was/there was a 5th (Canadian) Division; when in fact the 5th Division was attached to the Canadian Corps for Vimy and acted as a reserve, with several units being committed on 9th April 1917, and no 5th (Canadian) Division ever existed.

However, these are minor points in what is generally a useful book; I look forward to the companion volume on the rest of the front.

I have just had a copy in to review for Stand To!. Having read Chris Baker's review I don't think he has left me with much to say. He is right on all counts. Great value, well presented, something for everybody from expert to tyro. It is a must for the glove pocket when you next go over