Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grandads war

tomlinson21

PLEASE Is there someone who can help me to identify my grandads regiment from this photo, all I know is that he looked after horses during the war in France!

grandad,s photo

It's difficult to tell with such a small photo Nellie, but there seems to be the vague shape of a Royal Artillery badge on his cap. Do you have any better (larger) photos?

Hi rnellie - and welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately, horses were essential for a wide range of functions in WW1 and uniforms difficult to tell apart. So I think what we'd probably like is a close up on your grandfather's cap badge, if you can enlarge it. There are some serious experts here who will very likely be able to at least narrow it down if you can get a reasonable outline.

The other thing that might help is his name: if it's unusual in any way it may be possible to track him down.

I've tried to enlarge the cap but unfortunatley the image is too fuzzy, just had a call from my elderly aunt (grandads daughter) to say she thinks he was in the army service corps? Grandads name is Frank Tomlinson born 1897 in Middlesbrough; on his marriage certificate in 1916, he is stated to be a soldier, his address was given as The National Schools Gladstone St. Gainsborough?

Thank you very much for taking an interest in grandadpost-88881-0-24905300-1332873270.jpg

OK - if we go with your aunt's memory, there were four Frank Tomlinsons in the ASC. Two of them had the initial H. Did he have a middle name that you know of?

ETA - sorry: that is to say that there are four men with that name with Medal Index Cards, showing that they served overseas during WW1. If he didn't go abroad, he won't have one. The reason for starting with the MICs is that, as you probably know, up to 70% of WW1 service papers were destroyed in a direct hit in WW2. However, unfortunately MICs don't have much in the way of personal information.

OK - if we go with your aunt's memory, there were four Frank Tomlinsons in the ASC. Two of them had the initial H. Did he have a middle name that you know of?

ETA - sorry: that is to say that there are four men with that name with Medal Index Cards, showing that they served overseas during WW1. If he didn't go abroad, he won't have one.

My aunt says grandad had NO middle name, he served in France, he was there in the mud fields trapped under his horse for two days and then spent a week in hospital?

OK - down to two men. I think this man can be ruled out: T3/029712, as some papers survive for him. Unless your grandmother's name was Lilian Eddon Tomlinson and they married on 23 July 1916, but that man gives his birthplace as Liverpool.

Which would leave the man with regimental number DM2/168391, who got the British War Medal and Victory Medal, indicating that he didn't go abroad until after 31 December 1915, which would probably be in keeping with your grandfather's young age (although it's also true of T3/029712, despite the fact that he appears to have enlisted in November 1914).

Given what your aunt has told you, he OUGHT to have an MIC and I believe they're more complete than the service papers.

To clarify - I'm not coming up with any "F" Tomlinsons in the ASC.

OK - down to two men. I think this man can be ruled out: T3/029712, as some papers survive for him. Unless your grandmother's name was Lilian Eddon Tomlinson and they married on 23 July 1916, but that man gives his birthplace as Liverpool.

Which would leave the man with regimental number DM2/168391, who got the British War Medal and Victory Medal, indicating that he didn't go abroad until after 31 December 1915, which would probably be in keeping with your grandfather's young age (although it's also true of T3/029712, despite the fact that he appears to have enlisted in November 1914).

Given what your aunt has told you, he OUGHT to have an MIC and I believe they're more complete than the service papers.

To clarify - I'm not coming up with any "F" Tomlinsons in the ASC.

His wife was Hannah Hunter, My aunt says Yes grandad did have war medals..... My aunt also sends you much thanks for your help as do I

Well, you and your aunt are very welcome, but it's not much - of four men we did know who served abroad with the ASC, we can say it's not three.

The fourth MIC is available to download for a small fee from the National Archives: Link though it contains little information (it refers to the original medal rolls which are held at the Archives): there's no address, unfortunately, or other personal information.

Looking at the surviving service papers and pensions papers (often simply service papers held at the Pensions Office, which fared slightly better than the main batch), I can't see anything that matches your grandfather. Hopefully someone else will be able to take this forward for you.