Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Rifle (?)

Marco

Is whats left of a Lebel rifle, the standard French rifle from the late 19th century until replaced by the Berthier, it continued to be used up until ww2, why it has been mutilated like that I can not tell.

khaki

Thinking about it, it may be a Lebel converted as a 'line throwing gun' for use at sea, hard to tell without the whole image

khaki

I think a flare gun as Centurion suggests, the large calibre is not normally used for line throwing guns. Years ago a friend had a very similar converted Lebel and it was in about 25-26mm calibre, typical for flares. The barrel detaches from the action to load the flare, which is why the chain is there.

Quite why the French would choose to convert these rifles rather than make new flare guns I do not know.

Regards

TonyE

I think some Lebel revolvers were converted to fire flares using a blank round and clip on on the end of the muzzle. Possibly this carbine was an attempt to throw the same flares further or higher (using a more powerful cartridge than possible with the pistol).

Hi,

indeed a flare gun, modification of 1886 mod. R35 carbine

Cnock

My guess would have been: French Lebel. Possibly used in mining warfare. British sometimes used similar sawn-off SMLEs.Anyway, seems solved by Cnock.

I think a flare gun as Centurion suggests, the large calibre is not normally used for line throwing guns. Years ago a friend had a very similar converted Lebel and it was in about 25-26mm calibre, typical for flares. The barrel detaches from the action to load the flare, which is why the chain is there.

Quite why the French would choose to convert these rifles rather than make new flare guns I do not know.

Regards

TonyE

Tony i wonder were they making use of the rifle actions from weapons with worn out bores for these conversions.john