Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sheffield Battalion

Hrichard77@aol.com

Hi Could anyone help me with what patches and insignia would have been worn by the 12th service battalion (sheffield) York and Lancs?. Any help appreciated.

Richard

There is an excellent, and fully illustrated, book about the 12th Y & L Btn. http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/ralph+gibson/paul+oldfield/sheffield+pals/7381112/ Very easy to buy or there are multiple copies in Sheffield libraries or if you're not based in Sheffield through inter-library loan.

Richard

To identify brigade and battalion the 12th Y & L wore a square, bisected horizontally red over white, above a green circle. These were worn on the back, about an inch below the collar.

Mike

Thanks mike ,thats very useful on a lot of old pictures its hard to see any detail at all and I.ve seen some patches but had no idea where they were worn .

The red/white square was worn on the back (this was the 94 brigade sign) and the green circle on the sleeves.

kendo

Apologies for the error re the position of the green circles - I misread my source. So presumably the 13th Bn.yellow and 14th Bn blue circles were also worn on the sleeves?

Mike

Apologies for the error re the position of the green circles - I misread my source. So presumably the 13th Bn.yellow and 14th Bn blue circles were also worn on the sleeves?

Mike

Yes you are correct on colour and position of 13 and 14 bns, The other bn in 94 Bde - the 11 East Lancs (Accrington) wore a red circle

best wishes

kendo