Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salisbury War Memorial

Rosemary Clarke

Can any of the Wiltshire Pals point me in the direction of the Salisbury memorial please - anywhere near the cathedral?

Also, is there any type of memorial relating to the Wiltshire Regiment WW1 service within the cathedral?

Thank you

Rosemary

Rosemary,

I'm afraid i can't help you on your two questions, but it may be worth contacting the RGBW Museum in Salisbury this is their site. If you're popping down to Salisbury then its also worth popping in.

Just out of interest, what research are you doing?

Ski

Actually thinking about it, there is a War Memorial in front of the Civic Hall in the main Square, where the market is often held.

Ski

Rosemary

I can't answer your query about Wiltshire Regiment memorials in Salisbury Cathedral. However there is a Memorial Window with a Book of Remembrance contained in a glass case situated below it in the Regimental Corner at St.James' Church, Southbroom, Devizes. The Regimental Depot was in Devizes until 1959

Access to the book can be obtained via the Vicar - Rev. Chris Tebbutt at

parish_office@st-james-devizes.org.uk

Dave

Just out of interest, what research are you doing?

Ski and Dave

Thank you both for the information.

Ski, I have been to the museum - in fact I'm a member - but am having problems contacting them at the moment and I was sure someone here could help!

I am involved in researching a number of the SAD cases, 3 of which involved members of the Wiltshire Regiment. The Berkshire Regiment, also had 3 such cases.

As I briefly parked by the Square, it seems the memorial was close by but as it was pouring with rain at the time, saw little but my umbrella!

Thanks again both.

Rosemary

Rosemary

A correction to my last post.

The 1939-45 Book of Remembrance is in the glass case.

The 1914-18 Book is set in the wall behind a metal grille.

Dave

Rosemary,

Out of the three SAD cases of the Wiltshire Regiment, the execution of Sgt Robins has always seemed especially tragic to me.

Ski

Out of the three SAD cases of the Wiltshire Regiment, the execution of Sgt Robins has always seemed especially tragic to me.

Ski

I entirely agree with you, Ski.

That a soldier's comment from his 'sickbed' should have such terrible consequences appalls me, particularly given the timing of events.

Rosemary