Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kaiser Wilhelm 1st Medal

Khaki

I am not sure of the exact title of the medal but I think that is pretty close, anyway it is the large gilt medal, yellow medal ribbon portrait of a bearded kaiser etc. Often seen on the end of WW1 groups.

My question is, did a recipient have to be a serving soldier/sailor/airman on the date of the anniversary or was it awarded for a extended period of time.

khaki

Hi LF,

Thank you for the prompt response with detailed information and great images, very impressive group.

Cheers

khaki

khaki,

Here are details of the award, and some photographs of the single medal, and the medal in a grouping. Plus, the medal's award document.

Zentenarmedaille (Centenarmedaille)

Wilhelm I Centenary Medal

The medal was instituted by a Royal order of Wilhelm II on March 22, 1897 as Medaille zur Erinnerung an des Hochseligen Kaisers und Königs Wilhelm I, des Großen, Majestät to honor the 100th birthday of his grandfather Wilhelm I (22.03.179709.03.1888). It was awarded to all serving officers and other ranks of the Prussian army, the German navy and the Schutztruppe as well as to veterans of the Wars of German Unification (1813-1815, 1848-1849, 1864, 1866 and 1870-1871).

Due to the color and size of the medal recipients promptly dubbed it The Order of the Apple (Apfelorden).

The 41 mm wide medal was made with bronze French cannons captured during the Franco-Prussian War.

The medal was designed by Professor Walter Schott. Its obverse shows a raised relief profile portrait of Wilhelm I with the inscription Wilhelm the Great, German Emperor and King of Prussia (Wilhelm Dem Grosse Deutscher Kaiser Koenig Von Preussen). The reverse has the raised relief inscription In Remembrance of the Hundredth Birthday of the Great Emperor Wilhelm I. 1797-22 March-1897 (Zum Andenken an den Hundersten Geburtstag des Grossen Kaisers Wilhelm I 1797-22 Maerz-1897).

The original silk ribbon is plain yellow thus representing gold and varies in width from 3 to 5 cm depending on the maker.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-33288700-1332640218.jpg

post-63666-0-67659600-1332640229.jpg

Terrific stuff,

Production figures must have been enormous amazing that it was awarded to all veterans of previous wars as well especially 1813/15.

thanks again

khaki