Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Opinions on officer's cap please

zippy.72

Bought this today at a car boot sale (£8!)

Can anybody tell what period it belongs to please?post-6289-0-54449900-1332609925.jpg

Another picturepost-6289-0-71427800-1332610028.jpg

post-6289-0-49331500-1332610014.jpg

Material and styling look like a WW2 era or later cap to me. Given the peaks apparent condition, I suspect you won't be getting much fine dining off any profit you make on your £8 investment... :innocent:

With the Queen being quoted on the lining, there's no doubt it is post WW2.

No not neccessarily!!

Queen Mary, I believe, granted Warrants of Appointment to various establishments/companies and some of these could date back to around WW1 or soon after :thumbsup:

I would say going by where it was made "38 New Bond St, London, it would be a officers, rather and other ranks.

The firm is still going today, perhaps they can identify it accurately for you. They are apparently the biggest supplier of hats to the army since the Second World War.

Nigel

Yes, I have emailed them. I thought the same about the 'Her Majesty' warrant - it could be Queen Mary or Queen Mother? Looking at similar on Ebay, it would appear to be WW2 but will wait and see what the firm can add. They are no longer at New Bond Street.

If the reference to hm The Queen meant one of the Queen Mothers, it would surely say so. As this type of Cap SD was unknown in Queen Victoria's day it must be from the current reign.

D

I'm no expert on royalty, but I thought only the monarch was HM, and a consort would be HRH.

Another thought: The cipher shown, but too small in the lower photo, and missing from the centre one, could add extra ammunition I believe.

Bought this today at a car boot sale (£8!)

Can anybody tell what period it belongs to please

During the WW1 period Herbert Johnson held a Royal Warrant as Hatters to King George V ( see attached period advertisement for Herbert Johnson ), and as such, any gentleman's hat, particularly any military cap, made by Herbert Johnson, would without doubt, have displayed the Royal Warrant for King George V i.e. " By Appointment to His Majesty The King ".

The Royal Warrant in your cap refers to H.M. Queen Elizabeth 11.

LF

post-63666-0-14435900-1332626880.jpg