Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brass crossed swords

wulsten

Can anyone explain what this badge represents, with thanks

wulsten,

As Shawn said, the crossed swords badge is for Physical Training/Gymnastic Instructors, and would be worn on the upper right arm.

The crossed swords is also a badge for qualified swordsman, and would be worn on their lower left arm.

LF

In addition to the Muscle Mechanics, I think Grenadier Guards Sergeants and above also wear crossed swords (and a grenade) above their stripes, though I have only ever seen cloth versions.

Thanks, the badge is in a box with a pair of Oxs & Bucks shoulder badges, i believe the owner was originally a Sergeant so there could be a connection ??

Thanks, the badge is in a box with a pair of Oxs & Bucks shoulder badges, i believe the owner was originally a Sergeant so there could be a connection ??

Muscle Mechanic sergeant.

Currently on reaching sgt and PTI you can stay with your unit and remain All Arm Physical Training Instructors or transfer to Royal army physical traning core full time. The later are full on gym queens!

Upto 1918 still "Army Gymnastic Staff" for a full story read this PHD thesis

http://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/etd/185

Other copies out there, cant find my link at mo!

Currently on reaching sgt and PTI you can stay with your unit and remain All Arm Physical Training Instructors or transfer to Royal army physical traning core full time. The later are full on gym queens!

Upto 1918 still "Army Gymnastic Staff" for a full story read this PHD thesis

http://digitalcommon...ine.edu/etd/185

Other copies out there, cant find my link at mo!

"Royal" ?

Just APTC in my time. God, those blokes made me suffer . . . . .

The badge in gilding metal ["brass"] was introduced for wear with Service Dress soon after 1902. For many years it served to denote both the Appointment of PTI and the Skill-at-Arms of best swordsman of 20 men in the cavalry [the precise definition wobbled a bit], although theofficial preference was for worsted. Two versions exist and, despite a thread on this forum and extensive enquiry elsewhere, it is not certain which came first. The other version is much more elegant, more like a real sabre, and I like to think it was the later badge. With the demise of the cavalry function the badge, in an astonishing variety of materials, reverted to PTI only.

I will try to post a picture of the elegant badge.

"Royal" ?

Just APTC in my time. God, those blokes made me suffer . . . . .

From 2010. I never suffered from them, luckly being as fit as them ;)

From 2010. I never suffered from them, luckly being as fit as them ;)

Didn't help when I was X-country running and they were chasing me on a BSA M21 :wacko: