Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star citation?

lfstraggler

When the 1914 Star medals were issued did they come with some form of written citation (and if so what) - or would there

have been only a entry in a medal roll given date of issue?

Putting it another way - when the soldier or his NoK received the actual medal would there have been a paper/certificate

with the medal citing name, rank, regimental number, etc. "having served with xx regiment/battalion on dates xx to xx

is awarded....

Hi there

I believe that all that came with the medal was a reciept (which signified who the award was made to, his name, rank, number and regiment) which indicated the issuing of the medal with a return part to acknowledge reciept of the medal.

There was, I'm pretty certain no illuminated certificate or 'anything special' to accompany the medal or signify the qualifying dates etc...If you have an Ancestry subscription have a browse through some of the service records where you will sometimes find the acknowledgement slips...

Regards

Shawn

EDIT: There was however an accompanying letter sent to N.O.K. with the issuing of Medals and Death Plaques etc which was a little more formal an example of which can be found here http://www.remembering.org.uk/allsopp_tribute.htm (about a third of the way down the page)

From a letter issued to a next of kin on 24 February 1920.

"Sir,

I am directed to transmit to you the accompanying "1914 Star" which would have been conferred upon No 20 Corpl. -----,Royal Scots, had he lived.It is sent to you in memory of his services with the British Expeditionary Forces employed in France and Belgium between the outbreak of war and midnight,22nd/23rd November 1914.

In forwarding this decoration I am commanded by the King to assure you of His Majesty's high appreciation of the services rendered.

I am to request that you will be so good as to acknowledge the receipt of the decoration on the attached form,which is to be returned to the above address.

I am,

Your obedient Servant,

Lieut.Col.,

i/c Records"