Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification please

munchkin

Hi All,

Below is a photo i have just obtained from a member of the family. I was wondering if anyone knows which regiment these chaps are from please.

Glynn.

post-23-1091789809.jpg

It's not military to my knowledge - Salvation Army?

A close up of the cap of the one on the left might expose some more detail of wha looks like a badge?

Could be Paul, but there is no cap badges to help us either. Did'nt they have a large "s" badge on the collar if they are Salvation Army Uniforms ?.

Thanks Paul.

Glynn

Glynn - any American connections in your family? Don't ask me why but the guy in the middle just 'shouts' America at me!! Bizarre hunch time!

The man seated on left seems to have moved his head at the last moment, leaving a 'ghost image' of his cap. Do I see metallic numerals on the hat band ... maybe a 4 and what looks like a 6.

The buttonings of the greatcoats also look quite US to me. I note their trousers are loose at the bottom. Could these be officer cadets of some kind, somewhere?

The hats are very flat-topped - also a US styling?

Des

And again - the man on the right - look above the light coloured hat band. Is that some kind of badge or device just below the rim of the cap?

Des

Hi Des,

i cant say for certain that we have american relations, but canadian yes!!. The chap on the left i think is my great grandfather Joseph Tew (See signature). His relatives emigrated to Canada but not while after the war. I said i think it's my Great Grandfather. If you lwould have a look at the photo below for me please. I would be interested what you think (this is Joseph tew in the photo). Is it the same guy ?.

post-23-1091797633.jpg

Sorry - for some reason can't see your top picture now. It doesn't seem to load? Progress bar at bottom goes to 75% and then flashes back.

Des

The button layout is very similar to the London Fire Brigade prior to all this safety nonsense - ie they were wool, the new stuff, is fire resistant - but nowhere near as nice to look at. But the Fire Brigade tunic was only half the length of these chaps' coats. Could be Canadian Police?

Regards

Anthony

Anthony,

It's a mystery to me (as the song goes). I really have not got a clue.

Thanks Anthony for your thoughts

Glynn.

Didn't know about your Canadian connection; they might be pre-WW1 Canadian militia. I have some photos of men in this in my collection with some very strange collections of uniforms!

I quite agree that Sally Army would have an 'S' somewhere; just thinking out loud!

How about re-posting it under a title like 'Canadian Militia?' so some of the Canadian members might pick up on it? They would probably be able to confirm or not?

Glynn - picture now OK???!!!

The nose shape seems identical to me.

Does that help?

Des

Hi Paul,

Great idea, i will do that. It might set some tongues wagging.

Thanks again.

Glynn.

Hi Des,

Just what my wife said (the nose thing) !. Thanks again.

Glynn.

5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 .......

This looks like a job for .... MORDAC!!!

Tune to Thunderbirds follows ....

Best of luck

Thanks again guys. I have posted again - will let you all know what happens

Thanks

Glynn.

I wonder if they are miltary at all. There were anawful lot of uniforms worn at this time. I have seen similar uniforms worn by state chauffeurs in Germany. I also wonder if they could be hotel staff or district messengers.

Regards

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for your input. I have been looking on the net, but have not found anything as yet.

Glynn.

The nose shape seems identical to me.

I think you are right Des, the old snot locker looks identical to me. I'm in no doubt that they are one and the same. I do have doubts as to whether the outfit is military, it looks very much like a drivers set-up.

Andy

Just a couple of pics to try to illustrate what I think. They are not an exact match by any stretch, but they are similar. I have shown the picture of the three men to my wife and she said straight away "cab drivers".

Andy

post-23-1091828120.jpg

Thanks Max,

Maybe they are. There used to be a very large posh hotel in the centre of town many years ago, it could be that they worked there.

Glynn.