Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Father and son medals

Adam Llewellyn

Good Day All,

I've been buying campaign medals, singles and groups for about three years now, and within that time I've only been lucky enough to get medals to men from my place of residence, Anstey Leicestershire on two occasions, the first time was on ebay and the second time was last Friday whilst visiting Loughborough market. To my surprise there were two or three stalls with medals displayed and I couldn't believe my luck when I saw a Second World War medal postal box with a Anstey address on it. The name on the box did ring a few bells and after getting the stall holders attention and asking if the box was empty I was again knock off my feet when he pointed to a set off medals which were connected to the box. After getting my feet back on the ground and first thinking that the medals must have been to the same man, it wasn't until I got home and checked the records that I realised the medals could only be to the father, First War Pair and son, Second War Pair along with a 39-45 and Burma Star, after finding the father was born in 1887. I'll mount the medals in a deep picture frame and put them on my medal wall with my other bits and pieces and will never even think about selling them on, but with the medals being what they are and me paying £90, did I get them at a very good price or what?

Regards. Llew.

Llew

All I can say is what price is a mans history and his service to his country ?

Dave

A WW1 pair would depend on who he served with (ASC, Line Regt, RFC etc)amongst other factors (officer? Casualty? etc), Full entitlement? I'd say as a guestimate £35-£55 for a non-officer and not a casualty.

Maybe £15ish fo the Burma star, plus the other three medals - £25-£30 ?

Neil

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the reply, the pair are to a private in the 2nd London Regiment and I believe would be his full entitlement. I was thinking along the lines that with the medals being to a father and son the value for the complete set would probably be more than just a WWI pair and 4 WWII medals with the box and slip.

Regards. Llew.

You have preserved a piece of a family's as well as local history, difficult to put a price on that.

Neil's comments valuation wise are spot on as well, so the 90 is hopefully money well spent.

Regards,

Joseph

• 3 weeks later...

bear in mind that WW2 medals are unamed , unless a long service etc.

Tony P

The first thing that caught my interest Tony was the postal box that the WW2 medals would have been sent in, namely the Anstey postal address.

Thanks for the reply.

Llew.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Llew and well done. I keeping looking in hope of finding missing family medals. I keep a close eye on ebay and have noticed the recipient and regiment seems to make a diference to value.