Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mixed group

Keith.Anderson

The attached photograph seems to be of a group of soldiers from different regiments. Can anyone identify any/spme/all of them and offer an explanation for why they are pictured together?

post-54216-0-39234300-1332358919.jpg

Kanderson, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th from left in the rear row appear all to be Gordon Highlanders. I would hazard a guess that the chap far right in the front row is an Argyll and Sutherland Highlander. The chap standing far right in the rear looks like he may belong to a light infantry regiment? As to why they are all together they all look to belong to Transport sections of their respective regiments, could be they are on a course together.

Your's aye

Ewan

I agree with a course for Transport Section men - the Sergeant in the middle may be an Assistant Instructor but he apparently has no badge above his chevrons to denote his speciality. The man standing rear left has a Farrier's qualification badge. Nice collection of dogs as well.

Hi

seated second left is Coldstream Guardsman I would agree with the Gordons and Argyll but is rear right not KOSB look at the shape of the badge.

Standing rear left is possibly East Surreys or Worcesters Star with a scroll doesn't look like E Yorks or Cheshires to me.

regards

John

This was among my grandfather's pictures. He was an Argyll and I have his glengarry so I didn't think the man on the right was an Argyll - it doesn't look the same. Unfortunately, my grandfather isn't in the photo and I'm trying to figure out who among his relatives might be.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions - back to the research!

Hi

seated second left is Coldstream Guardsman I would agree with the Gordons and Argyll but is rear right not KOSB look at the shape of the badge.

Standing rear left is possibly East Surreys or Worcesters Star with a scroll doesn't look like E Yorks or Cheshires to me.

regards

John