Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 R.A.M.C. grouping, help needed identifying some items

RelicHunter99

I collect WW1 medical items and I just picked this up recently. I know the least about British items of all the western front nations. I was hoping to get some help correctly identifying some items and determining if they are correct for the time period.

There are a lot of various items here including armbands, chevrons, cap badges, etc., so I hope its ok to use this sub-forum.

I also pulled his medal index card from the British Archives.

It says for Victory: RAMC/101 B111

It says for British: -do-

I assume that means he earned the British Victory medal, but I'm not sure what the "British" refers to. Is that the Campaign medal?

Here is the photo of most of the items. Any idea on what the chevrons are?

Picture008-8.jpg

Here are his badges and pins. Mainly wanting to know if the cap badge and RAMC badges are WW1 period. I don't know if the others are post war pins or what. Also, if his dog tags look correct.

Picture011-5.jpg

This field dressing came with the group, but I question whether its not WW2. It mentions gas mask use. I can't find a date on it anywhere.

Picture009-5.jpg

Here is his RAMC armband, with small ivory buttons and the AMS stamp. Not dated.

Picture012-3.jpg

Hi

Nice material ... there is a GWFer researching the RAMC in the Great War and I have sent an email with a link to the thread.

Nigel

Hi Relichunter

The mans Medal index card stating Brittish -do- means the was in the same unit when he was awarded the victory, a bit like ,ditto,

It may be worth searching the net for the maker of the field dressing to see if they were producing dressings in the first war

Dave

The National Hospital Reserve badge has a Queens Crown which means it is post 1953, the RAMC cap badge was worn 1902-1953 along with the shoulder titles, so could be WWI or later.

I also pulled his medal index card from the British Archives.

It says for Victory: RAMC/101 B111

It says for British: -do-

To clarify what a previous poster has said. Victory is a reference to the Victory Medal. British is a reference to the British War Medal. A soldier entitled to the VM was automatically entitled to the BWM, thus the Medal Roll Reference for the VM is given, and is "dittoed" below in the BWM section to show that fact.

RelicHunter99,

Here is some information on the National Hospital Service Reserve badge.

National Hospital Service Reserve (1949 - 1968)

The need for a NHSR arose from the developments of the Cold War after 1945. Rising tensions and nuclear proliferation amongst the superpowers lead to real fears of nuclear war breaking out. The basic role of the NHSR would be, in time of war, to supplement the expanded hospital services and work alongside National Health Service staff.

The NHSR was a civil defence organisation set up under the 1948 Civil Defence Act (UK) and established in 1949. They were staffed by uniformed volunteers from the nursing and medical professions, of whom most would have been either registered or auxiliary nurses. Many volunteers would also receive training in first aid and auxiliary nursing that would open up new career opportunities for them. Branches of the NHSR were established throughout the UK with County Councils and County Borough Councils being responsible for their administration. Recruitment to the NHSR was by application through a local hospital, St. John Ambulance brigade or the British Red Cross Society. The NHSR was 'stood-down' in 1968 and disbanded along with the other civil defence organisations.

Attached is a photograph of a group of lapel badges worn by volunteer members of the National Hospital Service Reserve (NHSR), and which were issued as part of the uniform.

post-63666-0-28876000-1332300268.jpg

My only concern, is that my research in the 1911 English census indicates he was born in 1880.

That would make him almost 40 by the time the Great War ended. And 65 by the time WW2 ended. Is it possible he could have continued serving in some sort of army hospital capacity even after the war into the 1950's?

Would any of these post WW2 badges have been ceremonial that may have been given to him later in his old age?

With regard to the First Field Dressing, the maker S. Maw, Son & Sons Ltd., London, was using that Trade Name from 1901.

The name MAW has been associated with a whole range of British made chemist's sundries, dressings, surgical appliances and instruments, for nearly 200 years.' The company grew out of a wholesale druggist company in London, later instrument maker. 'The company was founded by Hornby and Maw in 1807, was listed as George Maw and Son in 1826, S. Maw and Son in 1860 and S. Maw and Son and Thompson in 1870. In 1901 it was still in Maw hands as S. Maw, Son, and Sons. Based at 55 Aldermanbury, London.

If it had been in business for almost 200 years ( founded 1807 ), that name format could have been used from 1901 to 2007.

Attached are some photographs of WW1 Field Dressings for comparison.

post-63666-0-02344500-1332304935.jpg

post-63666-0-26833900-1332305046.jpg

post-63666-0-82992100-1332305057.jpg

Because the Field Dressing in my group discusses respirators (I'm assuming that means gas masks), and I haven't personally seen a WW1 dated Field Dressing with the respirator language in its directions, then I would imagine this field dressing is post WW1, which is certainly possible given other items in this group are.

What I've gleaned so far about this man is the following:

Sydney Daniel Renall (spelling appears to be wrong on his medal index card)

Born in 1880 in Brentford, Middlesex.

Married in 1909 in Kingston, Surrey.

Died in 1963 in Essex.

I'm otherwise not familiar enough with English genealogical resources to dig deeper yet.