Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caps

andalucia

Hi All

Two caps here. Can anyone tell me anything about them please, im not clued up on uniforms.

ww60.jpg

ww50.jpg

Any idea on the badge/

ww51.jpg

The other cap with Kings Liverpool badge.

ww55s.jpg

Well, it's definitely a Light Infantry badge but I don't know which regiment. The rose makes it seem like either Yorkshire or Lancashire but it isn't KOYLI.

One on the left is from after the Great War. You will need to post more pictures- inc. the inside, of the other cap to be sure what it is. Regards, Paul.

Hi all. Thanks for the relies.

These were caps from a collection, not mine.

hatsr.jpg

The regular bi-metal King's Liverpool Regiment badge on the left was actually worn between 1896 and 1926. Though this particular example probably dates from after about 1915,

The blackened badge on the right is, as stated earlier, that of the 6th (Rifle) Territorial Battalion of the King's Regt worn between 1908 and 1936.

Both are Other Ranks' badges, not officers.

I'm afraid I don't know about the types of hat !

You have shown pictures of the left hat that is post Great War. Further pictures required of the other one as I am unsure what it is from the single image. Regards, Paul.

Sorry Paul, it is without a shred of a doubt WO Pattern 4362A/1896. Authorised on 7th January 1896 and made officially obsolete on 21st December 1926.

The photograph of the cap shows the badge at an angle which might be confusing, but just look at the tail to start with !

I have classified three main versions (ie manufacturers variations) of this badge and have about 30 different examples. I think this particular one dates from after c 1915 but I would have to see detailed photographs of the front and back to be certain. See my comments etc on the British Military Badge Forum.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the right hand badge is that of the 6th (Rifle) Territorial battalion of the King's Regiment, worn between 1908 to 1937. The Territorial badges did not have the same system of WO Pattern numbers, only getting them in 1915 then again in 1916 - I'll dig out these pattern numbers for you later.

I have no idea what dates the hats are but I am certain of the badge ates.

The SD on the left is an original Post WW1 cap, the SD cap on the right looks very much like a repro, I've never seen a hat made to a poor standard as this one, the peak looks hand stitched and not machine stitched.

The colour of the serge cloth is also of a very greenish colour; again, I've not seen this type of cloth used on original caps.

Any chance of an inside view?

Cheers

Dickie

Thats fine Julian- I don't doubt you to ID a King's badge. its the cap that is post Great War and with regards to the other cap it looks like that may well be a copy- Dickie knowing how they should be constructed. Cheers,Paul.

Paul, my apologies, I did begin to wonder if we were at cross purposes. It would be useful for me to learn about uniforms one day !!! (where's the best place to start ?)

J