Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is it a real shell?

andalucia

Looks real to me Ant.

TonyE and others will be along to say for sure but faced with those markings I would guess it is a 6 pounder (naval?) shell case.

I don't see a date unless it is 83 which would make it quite a bit pre war!

If I am right this would have been the sort of shell used in Tanks I think

Chris

edit: from previous threads I think I recall CF = cordite filled.

Well done Chris. I will add more info now.

A guy in Liverpool has this. Not sure if it was made during or after the war. Interesting item, sadly no name on it.

jug1.jpg

jug2.jpg

jug4.jpg

jug5.jpg

It has a Tank Regiment Badge on it.

jug8.jpg

The Tank Corps badge seems to fit nicely with Chris' observations above.

Nice trench art you have there!

-Daniel

Early 6 Pdr made by Kynoch, Birmihgham (K). The "1" ina circle stamped over the "III" indicates that it is fitted with the Mark II primer which was made from thinner metal. Later, these cases had the primer drilled out and replaced by the normal threaded No.1 primer.

"CF" at that date was indeed "Cordite Filled" but later when blackpowder as a filling became obsolete and cordite the norm, "CF" came to mean "Cordite Full Charge".

Regards

TonyE

Early 6 Pdr made by Kynoch, Birmihgham (K). The "1" ina circle stamped over the "III" indicates that it is fitted with the Mark II primer which was made from thinner metal. Later, these cases had the primer drilled out and replaced by the normal threaded No.1 primer.

"CF" at that date was indeed "Cordite Filled" but later when blackpowder as a filling became obsolete and cordite the norm, "CF" came to mean "Cordite Full Charge".

Regards

TonyE

But can we still be taliking 1883? I have 1889 as an introduction date for Cordite... :unsure:

Regards,

MikB

But can we still be taliking 1883? I have 1889 as an introduction date for Cordite... :unsure:

Regards,

MikB

Indeed - Abel and Dewer patented "cord powder" later called cordite in 1889 and were promptly sued by Alfred Nobel who had patented Ballistite the year before (he lost in the House of Lords in 1895). Its adoption was only recommended in 1889 and it would have taken a little longer to establish production. Questions were still being asked in the Commons in 1890 over the slowness of its full adoption.

Another post that seems to have disappeared. About an hour ago I posted something along these lines:

That is an odd case, as it has the Broad Arrow yet no date. I agree the date cannot be 1883. Note the small anchor stamped over the "F" of "CF. This is not a normal Royal Navy mark which is "N". I will copy the image and ask elsewhere and report back.

Regards

TonyE

That is an odd case, as it has the Broad Arrow yet no date. I agree the date cannot be 1883. Note the small anchor stamped over the "F" of "CF. This is not a normal Royal Navy mark which is "N". I will copy the image and ask elsewhere and report back.

Regards

TonyE

Could the markings beneath the Broad Arrow be '18 3' - maybe March 1918? Though the symbol left of the 8 looks a pretty peculiar kind of 1.

Regards,

MikB