Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambrai with Camera

Graham-McAdam

I'm off to Cambrai Sunday week, and now know how to take a photo that doesn't take 40 min. to transmit. If anyone has any requests give me a nod - anywhere around the Cambrai battlefield - Orival, Flesquieres, Bourlon, Louverval, south towards St Quentin etc

If you are anywhere near Moeuvres I would appreciate seeing a few general shots of the area. It was a first day objective for 36th Div. but a lot of local men seem to have fallen in front of it - especially the officer cadre. Three officers in one day from my home town.

If at all possible.

Thanks, Des

I think that Ghissignies CWGC is near Cambrai. If you were able to get a photo of the following headstone I would be most grateful:

Captain Phillip Francis Davy MC, 13th Rifle Brigade, 4-11-18, Ref B26

If you were in the area of Manchester Hill, a general view would be excellent.

Thanks.

The Memorial at Louverval, please

Second Lieutenant DOUGLAS GORDON THOMSON

10th Bn., Rifle Brigade

who died

on Friday 30 November 1917.

Remembered with honour

CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

Christine

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graham,

I would appreciate it if you are near Wellington Cemetery in Rieux-en-Cambresis which is about 5 1/2 miles North East of Cambrai). There is a chap there called Arthur Downing Number 205103 Buried in plot I.E.8. If poss could you please photograph him for me. if you do manage to get there, please pay my respects to my Great Grandfather Pte Joseph Tew, 33108 Buried in plot II.B.8. Thankyou for your very kind offer.

Glynn.

Sorry, Glynn, I came back last Sunday!! But I'll keep your note for next time - end of October, I hope - and try to do it then - I do know the village

Cheers

My thanks to Graham for some great modern day shots of Cambrai area.

Delivered on time; first class job.

That's what the Forum's all about... little snippets that build a big picture for individuals and eventually for all of us.

Big cheer

Des

I too would like to second Des' comments, Graham has helped me complete a 3 year odyssey by getting the photo of Davy's headstone. This is a great forum, and I feel priviledged to be amongst the company of such generous and willing pals.