Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID on a Kilted Soldier

Lachlan

Hi everyone

I was watching some of my BBC "The Great War" DVD's yesterday and there was a short film sequence where a kilted soldier was trudging in a column of weary men. I noticed his kilt (no apron) had a discernable light coloured line. Though the film was of poor definition, his visible metal shoulder title looked to have a straight part (part of the name I surmise) above with another curved titled part below which met the straight part at each end. He also wore a two-coloured lanyard on his right shoulder. Any ideas as to what regiment this may have been ?

Hi everyone

I was watching some of my BBC "The Great War" DVD's yesterday and there was a short film sequence where a kilted soldier was trudging in a column of weary men. I noticed his kilt (no apron) had a discernable light coloured line. Though the film was of poor definition, his visible metal shoulder title looked to have a straight part (part of the name I surmise) above with another curved titled part below which met the straight part at each end. He also wore a two-coloured lanyard on his right shoulder. Any ideas as to what regiment this may have been ?

Light stripe would suggest either Gordon or Seaforth. Of the two the stripe is far more prominent on the Seaforth kilt.

Both however would have curved one line titles (Gordon or Seaforth) unless a TF unit an then its 3 lines T/4/Gordon etc.

Is it possible this was a Canadian Scot?

I am not sure about their shoulder titles but might it have been something like Canada[straight] over Seaforth[curved]? THIS THREADwould suggest I may be barking up the wrong tree however.

mostly guesswork of course... I have the DVDs so I'll see if I can find the clip and have a look.

Chris

Light stripe would suggest either Gordon or Seaforth. Of the two the stripe is far more prominent on the Seaforth kilt.

Both however would have curved one line titles (Gordon or Seaforth) unless a TF unit an then its 3 lines T/4/Gordon etc.

Is it possible this was a Canadian Scot?

I am not sure about their shoulder titles but might it have been something like Canada[straight] over Seaforth[curved]? THIS THREADwould suggest I may be barking up the wrong tree however.

mostly guesswork of course... I have the DVDs so I'll see if I can find the clip and have a look.

Chris

Thanks Chris

The brief sequence is on DVD disc 5, episode 19 and follows film of British artillery on the move while the narrator reads from a letter written by an ex-artillery battery member to his colleague criticising a book the latter was writing about the reality of the war.

He might also have been 10th Kings "Liverpool Scottish"--they had a white stripe (Forbes)

The title would also have a straight Scottish with curved Liverpool underneath and a T over 10 above.

Joe Sweeney

Any thoughts on what appears to be a two-coloured lanyard around his right shoulder ?