Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch - Mesopotamia.

Bob Coulson

Captain K W L Simonet of the Yorkshire Regiment was KIA on January 21st 1916 whilst attached to the Black Watch in Mesopotamia.

Would anyone have any info on the action or battalion involved.

Would be most grateful for any help.

Bob.

1st attack on Hanna. Unsuccessful attack on Turkish position between the Tigris and the Suwaikiya Marsh. 2Black Watch lost 6 officers and 175 men. This ended the 1st attempt to relieve Kut. Phil B

Guest tartan87terror

Bob, as Phil has stated, it was all part of the attempted relief of Kutin 1916.

I'm reading that very part of A.J. Barker's TheNeglected War (Faber& Faber, London, 1967) which tells of the tragedy of Kut, and I suggest that you get hold of a copy and read it. Pages 210-220 are particularly relevant, but I think when you see it you'll want to read the whole book.

David.

A long shot! Are you related to Sergeant Leslie Coulson, West Yorkshire Regiment, Killed in Action, Sunday 8th October, 1916? I have a copy of the poem he wrote before he died. And thanks to Dave, the Neglected War will also be useful to me.

David,

Thanks for the info on the book I will certainly look into getting a copy.

Holmfirthtony,

When I first got interested in the Great War I looked into Leslie Coulson's background but unfortunately there is no family connection.

Bob.

Bob,

Have you tried "With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia" - its an account of the 2nd Bn, Black Watch in Mespot written by an officer who served there. It lists all officers served including brief details (yours included) and all OR's killed. He was attached to the battalion just 5 days before he was KIA.

Regards,

Christopher

Hi Tom

Captain Simonet is mentioned in the account of the Battle on Hanna 21st Jan 1916 in The History Of the Black Watch 1914-1918

Cheers Rob.

Hi Tom

I have the entire 2nd Battn War Diary on computer and indexed. So I will e.mail it to you.

Fred