Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IDENTIFY CAP BADGE

oscarquebec

In researching my family's military past I came across this photograph among my grandfather's possessions. I am unable to identify the cap badge and would appreciate help.

post-86894-0-95682800-1331915727.jpg

Also any help regarding patch on the left arm of right hand figure, it looks to be more than chevrons? The picture is very poor but someone with better eyes might know. Many thanks.

post-86894-0-76140500-1331915827.jpg

Would appear to be both Army Service Corps i see a single Lance Corporals stripe i can not make out anything else.If you have the mans name you may get a bit more info.john

Black 'Rifle' pattern buttons also the giveaway.

Thank you 'all' that is very helpful, I think I can put a name to the face.

Both are good old LRB (London Rifle Brigade) as stated above. Interestingly the man at left appears to have a voided badge. I enclose both versons of the badge (the man at right seems to have a standard badge) by way of comparison.

post-599-0-51634500-1331935248.jpg

Voided,sand cast version.

post-599-0-95687400-1331935745.jpg

Thanks again, do you know when the old badge was voided?. Can I further avail myself of your expertise? I always thought this picture (my avatar) was of my great uncle who served with 2 Battalion Rifle Brigade and killed 9 May 1915 at Aubers Ridge aged 19. The cap badge appears to be the Rifle Brigade but his tunic buttons appear shinny metal. Apart from the fact he should have had a good look in a mirror before the picture was taken I would appreciate your views on the badge and buttons.

post-86894-0-18224900-1331995782.jpg

Thanks again, do you know when the old badge was voided?. Can I further avail myself of your expertise? I always thought this picture (my avatar) was of my great uncle who served with 2 Battalion Rifle Brigade and killed 9 May 1915 at Aubers Ridge aged 19. The cap badge appears to be the Rifle Brigade but his tunic buttons appear shinny metal. Apart from the fact he should have had a good look in a mirror before the picture was taken I would appreciate your views on the badge and buttons.

The LRB badge was not officially voided until after WW1, when a new version of the badge was produced inscribed with the battle honours of that conflict. It seems however that a number of the earlier badges were voided using the sand cast method of construction (overseas).

It does indeed look like a Rifle Brigade badge and although he should by rights have been wearing black rifle buttons, these were not always available. Indeed later in the war buttons were issued in such materials as stamped leather, compressed fibre board and an early form of synthetic material.

Thank you once again, I'll continue to believe this is my great uncle. rolleyes.gif

It does indeed look like a Rifle Brigade badge and although he should by rights have been wearing black rifle buttons, these were not always available. Indeed later in the war buttons were issued in such materials as stamped leather, compressed fibre board and an early form of synthetic material.

I second that - I recently posted a picture of RB and KRRC men dated to early 1918 with nearly every possible variation of blackened rifles and shiny GS buttons.

Have a look ...

KRRC & RB Group Shoulder titles, Wound Stripes & Good Conduct chevrons galore

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Wonderful picture. My grandfather (RFA) always emphasised how men related to their horses so it's good to see these warriors with a kitten.