Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Soldiers Swap Medals

heggied

Hi - first post here ...

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about my great uncle who was wounded in the war and died in 1920 1919 from complications relating to those wounds. My mother gave me a tin containing what she described as his medals but that's not what it contained.

Along with his Silver War Badge (I've checked the number against the rolls on ancestry, and it's definitely his) there's a victory medal belonging to a different soldier from a different regiment. My guy served in the Royal Scots, this medal belongs to a soldier who served with the Scottish Rifles. According to my uncle's index card, he should have the war medal, the victory medal and his war badge. I've only got the war badge, and someone else's victory medal.

How this happened (it's not a relative's medal, and it's a name that has no obvious family connections) I'm not sure. Could he have swapped medals with a friend? Was it commonplace for soldiers to swap medals with their mates - seems a bit odd to me ...

Also - apart from posting the medal details here and on the British Medals Forum, is there any other way I'd be able to reunite this medal with any of his descendants (and possibly also locate the two missing medals of my uncle's - if they're still around somewhere) ?

Anyway - thanks for any info / advice anyone may have,

Cheers,

David

Edited by HeggieD

If he died in 1920 it may well be that he never received his medals personally, I am not sure about the dates but I think that the medals were approved about 1919/20.

khaki

Thanks Khaki - I've just re-read what I wrote, and I've made a typo with his death - he died in 1919, not 1920 ... so it's even more likely then that he never received them. He definitely wore the War Badge (according to my mother that is ...)

Still unsure why this other medal was there and not his though ...

My Grandad, Pte Thomas Nulty, had a Trio plus MM & Bar. He never attended any of the Remebrance services at the Civic Memorial but did lend his medals to another old soldier who had lost his own. Apparently after lending them one year, he never got them back and the family have no knowledge of what happened to them.

But I can imagine that the other soldier's family may have unearthed a box after his death which contained medals inscribed to my Grandad, so perhaps yours is a smiliar scenario?

Along with his Silver War Badge (I've checked the number against the rolls on ancestry, and it's definitely his)

Cheers,

David

Are the Silver War Badge numbers on Ancestry?

Not really swapping but my old friend Fred Dixon who served in the Surrey Yeomanry and the 10th Battalion, The Queens, had a number of medal groups of friends he had made whilst serving in the Queen's, including one DCM group and a number of 14-15 Star trios to men who had initially served in the Sussex Yeomanry. They had been left to him in the friend's wills.

Sepoy

Yes

Where are they, I have gone through the military section and can't see them, can you provide a link please?

Excellent, thank you very much.

I can't see it in the Military list and it's only because of receiving this page in an email from Ancestry that I have the link....

Where are they, I have gone through the military section and can't see them, can you provide a link please?

Sorry for not seeing this till now. in the drop down menu on search click "military",To right of page at end of "featured data collection" list click on "view all in card catalouge" go to "page 2" of index and it is on the list.john

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2456