Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Sussex Regt. insignia shell casing dated 1901.

jamesmm

I have been tyring to research a pair of brass shell casings, which belonged to my great grandfather.

I've been able to find out a few facts but still want to find our some more, here is what I have so far:

Shell one is engraved with the Royal Sussex Regt. insignia and is stamped with the date 1901 on the base. Shell two is engraved with the Royal Army Service Corp. insignia, but no date on the base.

The wording on both "Honi soit qui mal y pense" is a French phrase meaning: "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it".

The coding on the base plates includes the following:

RL means 'Royal Laboratories, Woolwich Arsenal'

CF means 'Charge loaded with cordite / Full charge'

K means 'George Kynoch Ltd., Birmingham'

A (encircled) means 'case has been fired once'

III means 'Mark III' version

Also shown is the Lot number or Batch number.

I've see lots of various shells on the internet but none that have been engraved with an insignia like these, I'd love to find our some further about these to share with the next generation. I have more pictures that I can post of each shell and the base plates.

post-88573-0-15333900-1331799374.jpg

You do not give any dimensions for the cases, but given the date they may be 12 pdrs?

"Honi soit qui mal y pense" is the motto of the Order of the Garter and is found on many British regimental badges plus of course the Royal Coat of Arms.

Your are broadly correct in decyphering the headstamp, although the "A" in a circle indicates it is a repaired case that has been annealed. You do not mention whether there is a primer present, so I cannot say if the cases were being prepared for a second loading when they were "liberated". Alternatively the cases may have been annealed during original manufacture.

We really need a picture of the headstamp to glean any further information.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks for the reply Tony.

My research was fairly basic and I suspected that some of it might be wrong, so it's good to get this information from you.

I'm uploading a picture of the headstamp, hopefully it will be clear enough to read.

Cheers again for your help with this.

James

post-88573-0-66810300-1331812625.jpg

They are 6 Pdr. Mark III cases. The right hand case, made by Royal laboratory has been re-loaded as I suspected from the repair/anneal mark (A in circle). The second loading is indicated by the second "F" for Full Charge stamped at a bit of an angle to the original "CF"

The "1" in a circle indicated the cases are fitted with a thinner percussion cap than originally used. Later when these early cases were re-loaded the original percussion cap pocket was drilled out and threaded for a normal screw-in No.1 primer.

Rgards

TonyE

Many thanks Tony, it's nice to have the extra info for these.

I'm still curious about the engravings and how they came about. I'm wondering if they were originally made like this or if they were added at a later date. Also curious about how my Great Grandfather ended up with them, I was told he was given them, but sadly anyone that knew the story attached is no longer alive.

Thanks again for your help with this.

James

Well they certainly were not made like that originally. They started life as ordinary rounds of ammunition, but they are an early example of "trench art" for want of a better description. There are any number of reasons why they might have been engraved as they are. Souveneers, presents etc.

What was your g/grandfather's regiment? Perhaps he served in South Africa with one or the other units depicted?

Regards

TonyE