Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1907 Bayonet

9th Black Watch

At an auction earlier today I successfully bid on a Pattern 1907 Bayonet manufactured by R. Mole and Sons, Birmingham, in August 1915. It's in reasonable condition and cost around £30.00.

I've seen plenty of Wilkinson bayonets but have never come across one manufactured by 'MOLE'. Williamson's book mentions there were only 60,000 produced.

Just wondered if anyone a little more familar with the P'07 could tell me any more. I thought it was a good buy.

Best wishes,

Derek

Derek,

Most interesting. I picked up an 07 the other year for about the same price - assume you got the scabbard with it ? The makers mark on mine is not very clear at all - it is definitely not Wilkinson. As regards to one made by Mole, I have never come across one by them either - looks as if you have a little Gem there.

Re Wilkinson's book - how many other manufacturers does he list, as I would like to know who made mine as the letters are hard to decipher, but may be able to identify if I knew the possibilities ! It was made in Feb 1915 and has all the usual acceptance marks etc.

As regards to the price you paid, I would say that from what I have seen around the minimum commmanded by one with scabbard in reasonable nick is usually in excess of £ 55 and quite often way in excess of that figure.

James

Sorry Derek, forgot to add the following bits from Skennerton's Lee Enfield Story:

Markings the Cross or X denotes that it has passed the strenth/rigidity test. On the same side as the Crown, the single no and the double no indicate the month and date of manufacture.

There is also a site that details all the markings in full on the following link:

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/brit_bayo.html

Hope you find out something of interest.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the information. The bayonet's in reasonable condition with a little surgface rust. It does has the scabbard.

The manufacturers listed by Williamson are as follows.

Wilkinson Sword, London [WILKINSON W.S.C] - 2,360,000 made

J.A. Chapman, Sheffield [CHAPMAN J.A.C.] - 300,000

R. Mole and Sons, Birmingham [MOLE] - 60,000

Vickers Ltd [VICKERS VSM] - 10,000

Enfield Royal Small Arms Factory [EFD] - 500,000

Remington Arms [REMINGTON] - 100,000 from May 1916

Royal Factory Ishapore, India [RFI] - 5,000 with quillion

Lithgow [LITHGOW] - 42,300

Hope this helps identify your bayonet.

All the best,

Derek