Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Welch Regiment in Ireland

corisande

Can anyone help with the dates that 2 Welch (Welsh) served in Ireland and where they were stationed.

(and I should add that the regimental museum are not helpful, so that is not an option)

The 2nd Battalion arrived at North Wall in Dublin on the 21st and 22nd June 1920.' A' and 'B' companies, Signallers, Band and Regimental transport went to Richmond Barracks and the rest of the Battalion went to Kilmainham Jail. The Battalion was placed in the 25th Provisional Brigade which was responsible for the northern part of Dublin. They left the city on 14th December 1922.

Aled

Aled

Thank you. Reason I am looking at this is the death referred to here

independent.jpg

Certainly establishes that 2 Welsh were in Dublin at that time. In many ways you would have thought that the British would have identified him from the number

The problem I have is that the number reported is wrong, in that it was not allocated to Welsh Regt. But I assume the regiment is more likely to be correct in a press report than the number.

Welsh Regiment had 3947001 to 4025000 allocated. So our man could have been 3949420 rather than the reported 3349420.

"mhifle" kindly sent me an Ancestry link to a fascinating soldier 3949420 Hutchinson in 2nd Welch who could possibly be the man, and if he was then one can see why the army would not have bothered searching for him (on the other hand the un-named body was found in March 1921 and Hutchinson was discharged in Aug 1920) Click for notes on Hutchinson 3949420

So the information on 2 Welsh Regt period in Ireland means that Hutchinson could have been in Ireland, and either his underpants or he returned after his discharge

Which means that I still need to try to find other candidates for 3949420 in 2 Welsh

The Welsh Regt are unable to help and tell me " I appreciate that the clothing he was wearing was indeed military but if he was from 2 WELCH then there would have been a record of him being listed as “missing in action” or “AWOL” but I can find no such record of any WELSH Regiment soldier missing in 1921. " which exemplifies the awol/deserter problem in Ireland - for all sorts of reasons nothing exists in the records.