Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help to find medal citation

Rod MacArthur

My first proper post on this forum, although I often post on ones for Napoleonic military history.

A few years ago my wife inherited a number of items from her aunt, including a set of five mounted miniature medals which had belonged to my wife's grandfather. Regrettably we only have the miniatures and presume that my wife's aunt probably sold the original full size medals some years ago.

Four of these medals were easy to identify, but the fifth was not. I have tried several times before and given up but finally have succeeded, but this raises a further question.

The group comprises:

1. 1914-18 Star with Bar "5th Aug - 22 Nov 1914" (I gather this is known as the Mons Star).

2. British War Medal 1914 -1918.

3. 1914 - 18 Victory Medal.

4. 1939 - 45 Star.

5. The fifth medal is clearly foreign (a white enamelled maltese cross), and after much research I have finally identified it as the Belgian Civic Cross First Class (for Meritorious Service in the Administration) and its unusual ribbon of red with two black stripes, both edged in yellow, indicates that it was awarded for an exceptional act of bravery, devotion or humanity (the more common ribbon for long and distinguished service in the administration is just three black stripes on red). I understand it could be awarded to a foreigner who aided a Belgian citiizen.

Does anyone know how I can find out why my wife's grandfather was given this Belgian award? I presume there must have been a recommendation or citation at the time, but I would not know how to find this now.

Any help or advice would be welcome,

Rod MacArthur

Rod

what was your wife's grandfather's name? Easier to start looking if that is available.

Nigel

The group comprises:

1. 1914-18 Star with Bar "5th Aug - 22 Nov 1914" (I gather this is known as the Mons Star).

I think there is quite a bit of confusion here. There is no such thing as a 1914-18 Star. There are two stars - the 1914 Star and the 1914-15 Star. Only the 1914 Star could be worn with the "5th Aug - 22 Nov 1914" bar worn on the ribbon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1914_Star

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1914-15_Star

Rod

what was your wife's grandfather's name? Easier to start looking if that is available.

Nigel

Nigel,

He was 402055 2nd Lieutenant W S Storie. He was OiC Workshops, 610 MT Coy ASC attached to the New Zealand Division.

I am having slight doubts that these medals were actually his, although it would be nice if they were, so I would like to continue to find out what I can. My wife's recollection is that her grandfather did not go to France until 1917, and then stayed in Germany for a couple of years after the war as part of the occupation force. If this is so, the 1914 medal cannot be his.

In searching through the box of his military memorablia I have now come across two (unmounted - still in War Office boxes) medals belonging to him, namely the British War Medal 1914-1918 and the 1914-18 Victory Medal, but no sign of the others. However there are a number of other medals, most complete with ribbons, in various packets, War Office boxes etc and also one of the large bronze medallions given to next of kin of those who died. My wife's grandfather was a solicitor in Edinburgh after the war and dealt with the affairs of many ex-servicemen. Some of these other medals would appear to be those awarded to them. Why he still had them I have no idea, perhaps he could not trace surviving relatives. There is also a WW1 German Iron Cross complete with ribbon which I imagine was a "trophy"..

My own gut feeling is to try to find a list of foreign recipients of the Belgian Civic Cross First Class in the category of "awarded for act of bravery, devotion or humanity". I would doubt if there were all that many, so either his name is on it or, if not, I may be able to fnd out who the actual recipient was.

Rod

Nigel,

He was 402055 2nd Lieutenant W S Storie. He was OiC Workshops, 610 MT Coy ASC attached to the New Zealand Division.

I am having slight doubts that these medals were actually his, although it would be nice if they were, so I would like to continue to find out what I can. My wife's recollection is that her grandfather did not go to France until 1917, and then stayed in Germany for a couple of years after the war as part of the occupation force. If this is so, the 1914 medal cannot be his.

In searching through the box of his military memorablia I have now come across two (unmounted - still in War Office boxes) medals belonging to him, namely the British War Medal 1914-1918 and the 1914-18 Victory Medal, but no sign of the others. However there are a number of other medals, most complete with ribbons, in various packets, War Office boxes etc and also one of the large bronze medallions given to next of kin of those who died. My wife's grandfather was a solicitor in Edinburgh after the war and dealt with the affairs of many ex-servicemen. Some of these other medals would appear to be those awarded to them. Why he still had them I have no idea, perhaps he could not trace surviving relatives. There is also a WW1 German Iron Cross complete with ribbon which I imagine was a "trophy"..

My own gut feeling is to try to find a list of foreign recipients of the Belgian Civic Cross First Class in the category of "awarded for act of bravery, devotion or humanity". I would doubt if there were all that many, so either his name is on it or, if not, I may be able to fnd out who the actual recipient was.

Rod

The National Archives database has a 2nd Lt. William Stevens Storie serving in WW1 in the Army Service Corps

The record on Ancestry has him as William Stevenson Storie (formerly 402055) with 610 Motor Transport, Army Service Corps. His address is given as Albert House, Jedburgh, Scotland. This man's medal card shows his entitlement was a pair - British war medal and Victory Medal. But no Star.!

This looks like your man.

Tony

I think there is quite a bit of confusion here. There is no such thing as a 1914-18 Star. There are two stars - the 1914 Star and the 1914-15 Star. Only the 1914 Star could be worn with the "5th Aug - 22 Nov 1914" bar worn on the ribbon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1914_Star

http://en.wikipedia....ki/1914-15_Star

Andrew,

Many thanks for the elucidation. I spent 30 years in the British Army but am not very expert on the First World War (my military history interest is the Napoleonic Wars).

The medals I have are miniatures, so may not be entirely accurate. The first medal is clearly the 1914 Star with the Bar "5th Aug - 22 Nov 1914" on the Ribbon. It also has 1914 on a scroll across the centre of the medal itself.

I have just realised that the fourth medal has the ribbon of the 1939-45 Star, but the medal is actually the 1914-15 Star (with those dates clearly emblazoned on the scroll on the centre of the medal. Very strange.

Rod

The National Archives database has a 2nd Lt. William Stevens Storie serving in WW1 in the Army Service Corps

The record on Ancestry has him as William Stevenson Storie (formerly 402055) with 610 Motor Transport, Army Service Corps. His address is given as Albert House, Jedburgh, Scotland. This man's medal card shows his entitlement was a pair - British war medal and Victory Medal. But no Star.!

Tony

Tony,

Many thanks. That is clearly him and I actually have both of the medals (unmounted in their War Office boxes) awarded to him. Where this other mounted set came from I have no idea.

Rod

Tony

Just as a follow up, a search of the London Gazette 1914-1921 does not find anyone of this name being listed with a Belgian (or French) medal for bravery/gallantry.

Tony

Below some recipients of the Croix Civique 1st Class gleaned from the London Gazette. Any of these in your family tree?

17/08/1920:

Lt-Col S.de Courcy O'Grady CMG DSO MB, RAMC

18/01/1921:

Maj P.J.Marett, RAMC

Cap R.W.Smith MB, RAMC

Cap F.S.Walker MD, RAMC

Sjt J.G.Carr, RAMC

Pte J.Mendel RAMC

29/06/1923:

Maj P.L.S.Browne MC, Chateauguay Regt., Canadian Forces

21/08/1923:

Cap G.H.L.F.Pitt-Rivers, Royal Dragoons

Adrian

Hi,

Found something online you might want to see.

Wooden painted signboard from 'Hellfire Corner' at Ypres, 1918.

This sign was used to mark 'Hellfire Corner', a busy junction on the Menin Road, which ran from Ypres in Belgium to the frontline trenches. It was a very dangerous place, being within easy range of the German guns. As a result of constant heavy shelling it was given this nickname by British troops. This sign is believed to be the last used at this position and shows signs of shell and small-arms damage.

Lieutenant W. S. Storie of the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) brought this sign back to Britain after the First World War (1914-1918). He displayed it in his shop window on Prince's Street, Edinburgh. The evocative name 'Hellfire Corner' was instantly recognizable to the generation who lived through the War, which is why Storie used it to attract crowds to his shop. Many of those who had survived would have passed the sign, or one of its predecessors, en route to and from the front line.

Hope you found this interesting,

Tom

post-72210-0-95550500-1331317772.jpg

Hi,

Found something online you might want to see.

Wooden painted signboard from 'Hellfire Corner' at Ypres, 1918.

This sign was used to mark 'Hellfire Corner', a busy junction on the Menin Road, which ran from Ypres in Belgium to the frontline trenches. It was a very dangerous place, being within easy range of the German guns. As a result of constant heavy shelling it was given this nickname by British troops. This sign is believed to be the last used at this position and shows signs of shell and small-arms damage.

Lieutenant W. S. Storie of the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) brought this sign back to Britain after the First World War (1914-1918). He displayed it in his shop window on Prince's Street, Edinburgh. The evocative name 'Hellfire Corner' was instantly recognizable to the generation who lived through the War, which is why Storie used it to attract crowds to his shop. Many of those who had survived would have passed the sign, or one of its predecessors, en route to and from the front line.

Hope you found this interesting,

Tom

Tom,

This was in a cupboard in my wife's grandfather's house in Edinburgh, together with newspaper cuttings of when it was displayed in a shop in Princes Street. It was still in the canvas cover in which it had been sent back from France. It looked pretty authentic so I and my wife presented it to the National Army Museum.

Rod

Hi Rod

In my experience, the Belgium Criox Civique was awarded to Military & Civilian personnel for acts of bravery not in the face of the enemy.

Some were gazetted & others not. I researched an Aussie Artillery Officer who was awarded the 2nd Class Cross & even as it was not gazetted, it was anounced in his service papers.

I eventually found the reason for his award in the Unit War Diary, as follows

Appendix 93 164

Brigade Routine Orders

By

Lieut Colonel C.A.Callaghan D.S.O.

Commanding 4th AUST F.A.Brigade

Sept 17th 1918

His Majesty, the King of the Belgiums has awarded the Belgium CROIX CIVIQUE to Leiut H J Beaton, 12th Battery, A.F.A. in recognition of the part played by this officer in rescuing on 20th March 1918, several persons of Belgium nationality from a house in CALAIS which had been demolished by an enemy bomb.

(Auth: 2nd Aust. Div. 74 / 492 of 30.8.1918)

At the time he was attending a military school for salvage in Calais & as it was not a military action, I asume that was the reason for the non gazetting.

I can only suggest that you research the War Diary and / or the local paper for info.

I found the following site to be very helpful.

http://www.medals.be/

Hendrik was able to tell me that if the recipient was from Belgium then there would be a file usually with photo but as my man was a "Foreigner" there was nothing.

But saying that he did find the Belgium equivelant to the London Gazette for the award which was very helpful as it gave me an approx date. I am NOT saying he can or will do the same for you, as you have very little info to go on, so as stated above research his officers papers & the local papers first, get as much info before going to him.

As to numbers Gazetted I have the following from my data base which has over 37,000 gazetted & confirmed from other sources, such as war diaries & papers

Criox Civique 1st Cl 8

Criox Civique 2nd Cl 6

Criox Civique unknown Cl 1

Good luck with your research as mine for the above Aussie took approx 6 years & as I ask every one, if you do find a source for the award please let me know

Peter