Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Angelo Del Nevo, QOOH

Mike Cross

Help please. Angelo Del Nevo was born around 1898 into an extensive Italian family living in Oxford. I have a written record of him serving with the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars in France in 1918, specifically of him participating in athletic events in June, and he took his son on a tour of the battlefields many years ago. In preserved photographs he is clearly wearing QOOH uniform and insignia, and one of these was taken in France before April 1918, but his son has no knowledge of any medals awarded and similarly no idea of his service number. I have searched periodically for a Medal Index Card over the last year or so without success; other Del Nevo MICs are easily found and their Service/Pension Records have survived extremely well. Can anyone succeed where I have failed ? All ideas and contributions appreciated.

MC

Hi Mike

Did he 'anglisize' his name at all? My G Grandfather was baptised Andorino Raimo but became John Edward Dymond (and enlisted into the Territorial Army in the '20's as such even though his birth certificate states his 'Real' name).

Shawn

EDIT: Having found an entry in the LG (1929 - regarding the dissolving of a hairdressing partnership in Oxford of Angelo Del Nevo and another guy) - I've answered my own question, no, he didnt anglisize his name!

Thanks Shawn. I have had a go at searching with every possible spelling/mispelling that I can think of, including "anglisized" versions but got nowhere. The answer must be out there somewhere !

MC

PS I didn't know he was a hairdresser; one branch of the family run a fish & chip shop empire.

Hi

He was born on 15th May 1897 and died June 1983 in Oxford. He didn't change his name as the British Phone Books have him listed for many years. There are 3 public trees on Ancestry with him included. No sign of any military records.

Regards Barry

PS His full name is Angelo Dominic Del Nevo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...