Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Gt Uncle at 3rd Scarpe 1917

Lachlan

I’m trying to picture my Gt Uncle, who died with B Coy 8th Btn Black Watch, 26th Bde, 9th Scottish Division during the attack on Greenland Hill, Roeux on 3rd May 1917 (3rd Battle of the Scarpe).

I have been wondering about his order of dress and equipment just prior to the launch of the attack at 3.45am.

That morning, would he have worn a coat or jerkin, or tunic only ? Would he have carried his small pack on his back or not ? Was he a rifleman, bomber, rifle-grenadier or part of Lewis crew ? Therefore, if a rifleman did he carry spare filled cotton bandoliers etc ? Did he carry empty sandbags, wire-cutters or any other paraphernalia of that war needed for dealing with enemy emplacements ? Did 8th BW wear covers on their helmets at that time or was an individual choice ? Did he still wear the yellow cloth arc of B Coy at each shoulder line ?

I would be very grateful if anyone had any thoughts or information on how he was kitted out that fateful morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to picture my Gt Uncle, who died with B Coy 8th Btn Black Watch, 26th Bde, 9th Scottish Division during the attack on Greenland Hill, Roeux on 3rd May 1917 (3rd Battle of the Scarpe).

I have been wondering about his order of dress and equipment just prior to the launch of the attack at 3.45am.

That morning, would he have worn a coat or jerkin, or tunic only ? Would he have carried his small pack on his back or not ? Was he a rifleman, bomber, rifle-grenadier or part of Lewis crew ? Therefore, if a rifleman did he carry spare filled cotton bandoliers etc ? Did he carry empty sandbags, wire-cutters or any other paraphernalia of that war needed for dealing with enemy emplacements ? Did 8th BW wear covers on their helmets at that time or was an individual choice ? Did he still wear the yellow cloth arc of B Coy at each shoulder line ?

I would be very grateful if anyone had any thoughts or information on how he was kitted out that fateful morning.

Might I suggest that you examine the Battalion Op Order for the day in question (failing this, the Brigade Op Order as Battalion Op Orders are not always included in the respective war diary), which should provide you with most of the information you require regarding dress and equipment order. As for the specific roll of B Coy, again, this should be either in the Battalion or Brigade War Diary.

Hope that helps

Out

PL