Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

great war british drill manual?

brummie76

Hi all

Just wanted to ask if anyone can tell me the name of the official British drill manual/s for the Great War please?

If so can anyone provide a link to an online copy if possible please?

Thanks

Paul

I saw one for sale recently "Rifle and Field Exercises for His Majesty's Fleet" it included all manner of rifle drill etc, issued by His Majesty's Stationery Office. I presume there was a similar one for the army as well

khaki

Hi all

Just wanted to ask if anyone can tell me the name of the official British drill manual/s for the Great War please?

If so can anyone provide a link to an online copy if possible please?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

The matter of drill was very much bound up with tactical training of recruits prior to WW1. I think what you are looking for is the standard Infantry Training (4 Company Organization) 1914 (40 WO 2052) issued on 10 August 1914. Drill is not the sole content but 82 pages are devoted to it. This will take you through

1. Section Drill: "How to instruct"
  2. Squad Drill without arms: "Squad Drill with Intervals", "Squad drill in single rank" and "Squad drill in two ranks"
  3. Squad drill with arms: "Rifle exercises"
  4. Section and Platoon Drill: "Section Drill" and "Platoon Drill"
  5. Company Drill
  6. Extended Order Drill
  7. Battalion Drill

The latter sections are moving seamlessy into the realm of tactics, with "commuication by whistle blasts and bugle calls" and "Movements from and into mass" and "Formations applicable to operations against ill-armed enemies" although "Training in Field Operations" is a later chapter.

I haven't done a comparison but you may find it useful to look out for Infantry Training 1911 WO Code 47/251 which actually has some clearer diagrams but the strict procedures might have changed by 1914.

These are small format hard-backed pocket-sized books 11 cm wide by 13 cm high covered in dark brown (almost mahogany) cloth.

Don't know where they are on-line I am afraid but they come up at about £20 and I have a feeling that there may be a currently available reprint of one of the editions

Ian

Thanks both!

I have actually managed to find an online copy of both books!

Can anyone inform me if there were any differences between regular infantry drill and light infantry drill please?

Paul

• 3 weeks later...