Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC to Kenneth McDermid

Johno7439

I have today downloaded my great grandfathers MIC from the National Archives (My mum only told me today that her grandfather served in WW1 ). I have a few questions that I hope the forum can help me with. He was 575 Driver Kenneth McDermid RFA, and went to France on 27th August 1915. He was awarded the trio plus a Silver War Badge. I have two queries. Under his MIC, there is a seperate card with 1914-1915 stamped across the top, is this purely due to him earning a 1914-15 Star? My other great-grandfather does not have this, as he went to France in 1917. On the same card it has Discharged written on it, (my mum does recollect that he had a damaged leg, and perhaps a gun-shot wound to the chest). Is there anywhere I can find out when he was discharged, and for what reason?

Your's Aye

Ewan

SWB record

Edited by Alan Curragh
SWB image removed - against forum rules

Hi Ewan,

The short answer to your question is 'yes'. The stamp you describe signifies that the soldier whose record is recorded on the card served overseas in a theatre of war during the period

required for entitlement to the 1914/15 Star. Similarily the cards of soldiers who served with the BEF during 1914 are stamped with 1914 Campaign, which signifies that they are entitled to the 1914 or Mons Star.

Hope this answers your question.

Robert

Thanks chaps, I don't suppose there is anyway of narrowing down the date of him being wounded?

Your's aye

Ewan

Thanks chaps, I don't suppose there is anyway of narrowing down the date of him being wounded?

Your's aye

Ewan

Unless you can find his service record or a mention in either the war diary or the local newspaper from his home town, then I am afraid that the answer is most probably, no!

His SWB entry may give some info--I will see what I can find :thumbsup:

I see that you already have the SWB details! so it looks like its down to the local press and a couple of hours in the library for you my lad!!:thumbsup:

Thanks old owl, I am off to see my great uncle shortly (Kenneth's Son, also called Kenneth) so will make copious cups of tea for him and take plenty paper!

Your's Aye

Ewan