Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3+ years service in France but no medals

taylov

I came across an interesting medal group for service in South Africa (1900-1902) recently. The soldier had left the Army in 1908 with a EVIII Long Service medal. The group contained no WW1 medals.

However I found he had re-enlisted at the age of 50 in 1914 and after a year as a senior NCO in England he was posted to France were he served until 1919. His WW1 service record confirms the nearly 4 years serving with the Expeditionary Force in France, but there is no record of any medal entitlement, no MIC on Ancestry or on the National Archive database.

What sort of posting in France could have explained his lack of any WW1 medal entitlement?

Tony

Judging from the information supplied, he must be entitled to, at the very least, a BWM & VM pair or 1914/15 Star Trio.:thumbsup:

Some further details of name, rank and regiment could help to confirm this :thumbsup:

Is it just possible that due to his age he may have been in some 'backwoods'area and not qualified as being in a war zone or approved service

overseas ? Seems strange though.

If he served in France during the period of entitlement then I would suggest a harder search, I certainly wouldn't assume because his MIC card can't be found there was no issue, even if forfeit.

What's his name and number ?

He was Elijah Lowe 1085, then 43656, R Warwickshire Reg. in WW1. His papers for his post 1914 service are on Ancestry at http://search.ancest...skw=Elijah+Lowe

The first page states "enlisted for service in the UK only" but the fourth page states he served over 3 years with the Expeditionary Force, France. I suspect that this is the error and that he did serve in WW1 in the UK only.

Tony

Hi Tony

Having a quick look at Page Two of his Service Record states he was -

appointed Colour Sergeant of 14th Service (1st Birmingham) Btn Royal Warwickshire (Raised in September 1914) in October 1914.

RSM of Royal Warwickshire Regt Depot in June 1915 (looks like he transferred when his original Btn came under the command of 95th Brigade, 32 Div)

then onto the Local Reserve Btn (cant read the number)

and then on to 92 Training Reserve Btn in September 1916

before transferring to 2/9th (Cyclist) Btn Hants Regt in December 1917

and finally moving to the Regiment's Depot at the end of August 1918.

All Btn's with Home Service only. So, as you suggest it certainly looks like an error.

Also, looking at his Military History Sheet 'BEF FRANCE' has been crossed through as has the dates 20.11.15 therefore it should read 'HOME' From 2.10.14 to 6.8.19 - 4 years 309 days.

Kind regards

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn.

That's a relief as I had just purchased his medal group of a Queen's South Africa medal with 3 clasps (Cape Colony; Orange Free State and SA02); a EVII Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and GVI Meritorious Service Medal all to 7832 Colour Sergeant E.Lowe of the Rifle Brigade with whom he served for 21 years.

He joined up in November 1885 and saw overseas service in Gibraltar, Egypt, South Africa (1888-89), India and South Africa (1901-02) before leaving the service in November 1906. Luckily his papers for his service in the Rifles and his WW1 years both survive.

Whilst a 1914/15 star trio would have added to this super group, I have to admit to being glad that he stayed in the UK during WW1 and that I don't have a split group on my hands.

Tony