Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bullet-proof Officer's Tunic

SteveMarsdin

Good evening All,

Yesterday I bought a bundle of 10 copies of The Graphic from 1916. I find these contemporary papers interesting mainly for the photographs, obvious propaganda and adverts. three particularly caught my eye:

1. In a June issue, a large advert from The Empire Hotel, Buxton, announcing it will reopen for the new season on July 1st

2. Several adverts from UK tyre companies extolling the virtues of British tyres and urging people not to buy the cheap American imports that were been "dumped" on the UK market (and thereby save the country £3,000,000 in gold reserves)

3. An advert from Wilkinson Sword for a bullet proof officer's tunic that would withstand a .455 round at 20 yards

Were these tunics actually made and if so how effective were they ?

Good evening All,

Yesterday I bought a bundle of 10 copies of The Graphic from 1916. I find these contemporary papers interesting mainly for the photographs, obvious propaganda and adverts. three particularly caught my eye:

1. In a June issue, a large advert from The Empire Hotel, Buxton, announcing it will reopen for the new season on July 1st

2. Several adverts from UK tyre companies extolling the virtues of British tyres and urging people not to buy the cheap American imports that were been "dumped" on the UK market (and thereby save the country £3,000,000 in gold reserves)

3. An advert from Wilkinson Sword for a bullet proof officer's tunic that would withstand a .455 round at 20 yards

Were these tunics actually made and if so how effective were they ?

A lot of different "bullet proof" items items like this were on offer - they tended to be

a] expensive

b] ineffective

455 round at 20 yards suggests a pistol bullet (ie not high velocity) - a rifle or machine gun round would be a very different matter . I've seen material that suggests that these were bought not by officers (who in general had a fairly realistic view on things) but by their loved ones "you will wear this won't you darling".

Here is a Wilkinson's WW1 period advertisement for their bullet-resisting jacket, and a diagram showing the placement of the small metal plates in the jacket's lining.

It does appear to have been produced and worn, as the advertisement lists two signed testimonials from purchasers of the Bullet-Proof Jacket who lives ( according to the testimonials ) were saved by the jacket.

Although the jacket is described as being bullet-proof and can " resist a .455 Government Revolver Bullet ", coincidently, both testimonials speak of the wearer being saved from potentially mortal shrapnel wounds.

LF

post-63666-0-36932100-1330894995.jpg

Most Regimental Museums have Bibles or other items mangled by bullets, which "saved" the owner from serious harm. I suppose the tunics were no better or worse than these items.

Edwin

Here is a Wilkinson's WW1 period advertisement for their bullet-resisting jacket, and a diagram showing the placement of the small metal plates in the jacket's lining.

It does appear to have been produced and worn, as the advertisement lists two signed testimonials from purchasers of the Bullet-Proof Jacket who lives ( according to the testimonials ) were saved by the jacket.

Although the jacket is described as being bullet-proof and can " resist a .455 Government Revolver Bullet ", coincidently, both testimonials speak of the wearer being saved from potentially mortal shrapnel wounds.

LF

There was no Advertising Standards Agency. Adverts for everything from patent electric pile cures to portable fonts had testimonials - often written by professional testimonial writers employed by the advertising agencies.

anyone can write a testimonial which is not signed at all, and I assume only unpopular officers would buy one of these jackets: why else would you want one that would resist bullets manufactured by your own

side?

cheers Martin B

Another WW1 body armour was the " Dayfield Body Shield ". The 1916 Heavyweight front and back pattern, was made up of a number of separate overlapping plates, below which hung a tasset, made up of 2 plates to the front and 3 to the back, which gave protection to the thighs. The body armour which weighed between 14/18 pounds, was supported by shoulder straps and a waist belt.

The Lightweight pattern, consisted of 4 overlapping plates protecting the chest and the back.

For a mere 52/6d or 25s ( probably a lot more back then ) plus shipping to the BEF in France if required, you can be saved, claimed the advertisement, from a Sniper's bullet, or a Machine Gun bullet.

LF.

post-63666-0-05721500-1330897520.jpg

Another WW1 body armour was devised by John Berkley of Newcastle. His " Flexible Armour Guard " consisted of a canvas waistcoat, with small lightweight metal plates riveted to it. The body armour weighed 3 lbs.

post-63666-0-74928800-1330898817.jpg

A U.K. Militaria Dealer currently has a " Dayfield " body armour for sale, and lists it as such :-

" The best example of the rare Dayfield Body Shield I have seen. The design was patented in 1916 by Francis Dayton and Mr E A Whitfield. The armour consisted of four plates fitted into a khaki cotton "waistcoat".

The patent describes the shield thus: This invention has for its object to provide a shield that shall be efficient and light and capable of being comfortably worn by a soldier or other person for the protection of his body against attack by rifle fire, bayonet, lance or sword.

There's a reference in the Lancashire Fusiliers History describing a battalion-strength raid carried out by the 12th Battalion in April of 1918 which mentions the use of body armour: On the whole front the enemy works were entered after hand-to-hand fighting and casualties were inflicted and dug-outs discharged. A feature of the operation was that 33 body shields per Company were issued and proved most useful in warding off bayonet thrusts and splinters of bomb and shell.

This superb example bears faint inscriptions including the service number and name of its owner, apparently a soldier of the Royal Sussex Regiment. A rare and fascinating object. "

post-63666-0-07889300-1330899560.jpg

Thanks very much for all your replies, it would be interesting to know how many they sold !

It does appear to have been produced and worn, as the advertisement lists two signed testimonials from purchasers of the Bullet-Proof Jacket who lives ( according to the testimonials ) were saved by the jacket....

Indeed - a few years ago an example of one in good condition was offered for sale, Ebay if I recall correctly, and might have had a mention here at that time.

If they were anything like the 1950/60's flak jackets and the similar police body armor, they would be uncomfortable, awkward and of limited value against high velocity bullets and shards etc.

I wouldn't want to fall into a water filled shell hole wearing one.

khaki

• 2 weeks later...

And to think we did away with Cuirasses.

Thanks Leo, courtesy of a fellow GWF member. I would love to see the photos from the newspaper as described in the article.

Norman

Wow! I would not disdain body armour after his experience.

Edwin

Another WW1 body armour was the " Dayfield Body Shield ". The 1916 Heavyweight front and back pattern, was made up of a number of separate overlapping plates, below which hung a tasset, made up of 2 plates to the front and 3 to the back, which gave protection to the thighs. The body armour which weighed between 14/18 pounds, was supported by shoulder straps and a waist belt.

The Lightweight pattern, consisted of 4 overlapping plates protecting the chest and the back.

For a mere 52/6d or 25s ( probably a lot more back then ) plus shipping to the BEF in France if required, you can be saved, claimed the advertisement, from a Sniper's bullet, or a Machine Gun bullet.

LF.

could you tell me please what newspaper/periodicaland date that particular advert appeared in if you know. thank you.

could you tell me please what newspaper/periodicaland date that particular advert appeared in if you know. thank you.

The Dayfield Body Shield advertisement comes from John Bodsworth's excellent book " British Uniforms and Equipment 1914-18 ", page 267.

Here is the patent for the Dayfield body armour;

2222399799_e1e0276704_z.jpg

From the Patent application for the protective waistcoat. First submitted on the 6th April 1915 with the final specification lodged on 17th April 1916. The application was made by a lady, Francis Dayton and Mr E A Whitfield, both of Hertfordshire, the device consisted of four pieces of metal fitted into a sheath or casing of textile material stitched vertically and horizontally. The metal used consisted of sheet metal or an alloy, nickel steel or nickel chromium steel. The protection thus afforded could be extended to the back of the waistcoat and this is the complete device shown from the patent application.

Described in the patent as:

This invention has for its object to provide a shield that shall be efficient and light and capable of being comfortably worn by a soldier or other person for the protection of his body against attack by rifle fire, bayonet, lance or sword.

The complete specification was accepted 17th April 1916. The actual patent numbers and details are:

Provisional Application - No. 5196 6/04/15 - `Improvements in or relating to Shields for the use of Soldiers and Others`

Complete Specification application - No 13258 15/09/15 -as above-

Complete Specification accepted - 17/04/16

Norman

The Dayfield Body Shield advertisement comes from John Bodsworth's excellent book " British Uniforms and Equipment 1914-18 ", page 267.

Thanks, another book to buy though.