Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley Serial Numbers

Simon127

Hi All,

Shot in the dark (no pun intended) but does anyone know of a way to trace the owners of Private Purchase webley revolvers? Do records exist anywhere that might point to who bought them based on serial numbers etc?

Cheers,

Simon

Hi All,

Shot in the dark (no pun intended) but does anyone know of a way to trace the owners of Private Purchase webley revolvers? Do records exist anywhere that might point to who bought them based on serial numbers etc?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon

You could try here

Arms Research

Thanks Richie. I had a go with this and the chap very kindly checked for me but as a pre-1900 weapon the archives didn't have much to go on.

Thanks again,

Simon

If Richard Milner cannot help I doubt very much if I or anyone can, but post details of the revolver and the serial number and we may be able to at least give you a rough date.

Regards

TonyE

Hi Tony.

I admire your optimism Sir! It's a commercial purchase .455 Webley Mk III with the Serial Number '2929' and maker's name 'P. Webley & Sons London & Birmingham'. I undertand these to have been used for a limited time between about 1897 and about 1900 (I think) before being superseded my the Mk IV.

That said, I remember seeing a Webley Mk I in The Rifles museum in Winchester which a chap found in no mans land and went on to use in a VC action so I suppose they did linger on even though a newer model came out. What an absurb concept that seems today.... :D

Simon

Another unusual thing about it is that, although it has only commencial non-military stamps, it does not have the Webley winged bullet logo which is supposedly found on all commercial examples.

S

If it isn't too much of a long shot (pun intended) many private purchase sealed pattern Webleys were bought from the Army and Navy, whose records are now owned by Glasgow University. They'll make you pay or a search.

The Mark III was introduced in October 1897 and started with a new range of serial numbers. The lowest known is a commercial pistol No.101 and the highest is 80012 (from Bruce and Reinhart), so yours is obviously an early one. Mark IV serials followed on from the Mark III and there was some overlap as the lowest known Mark IV is 77503.

Does yours have the last three digits of the serial on the right hand side of the frame under the cylinder?

There seem to be plenty of early Mark IIIs without the winged bullet looking at the pictures in Bruce and Reinhart.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks chaps - I was just in the process of firing off (pun intended so as not to be outdone) an e-mail to Glasgow Uni archives...

Tony, when you say last three numbers - am I right in thinking that the full SN is 2929? I don't actually have the pistol to hand but I think it did have three where you say.

webleymkiiirevolver7.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks chaps - I was just in the process of firing off (pun intended so as not to be outdone) an e-mail to Glasgow Uni archives...

Tony, when you say last three numbers - am I right in thinking that the full SN is 2929? I don't actually have the pistol to hand but I think it did have three where you say.

webleymkiiirevolver7.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That pistol seems to have the full four digit number. Are there any other places with the serial number? On the rear of the cylinder face? (I appreciate it is not in your hands yet)

Regards

TonyE

Hi Tony,

There may be another number on or near the cylindrical hinge but I will have to check and let you know.

Simon

Hi all,

I have had a response from the Duty Archivist at the University of Glasgow but, after an exhaustive search or the record books for the Army & Navy Co-operative, nothing could be found for this SN. Never mind. I wasn't too hopeful but it didn't cost me anything!

Anyone know where I might be able to buy some inert .455 rounds from the period (c. 1890s - WW1) to display with it? I have tried in the past but most are modern re-loads.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi all,

I have had a response from the Duty Archivist at the University of Glasgow but, after an exhaustive search or the record books for the Army & Navy Co-operative, nothing could be found for this SN. Never mind. I wasn't too hopeful but it didn't cost me anything!

They charged me £33 for a search ! Probably kept someone in deep fried Mars Bars for a week.

The first half and hour was free according to a PDF file I found online but after that they'd charge you for additional time spent. Did they find what you were looking for?

S

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Cheers,

Simon

Wilkinson of Wilkinson Sword fame retailed Webley's and it is possible that they might be able to help. However, some of their archives were lost in Blitz , they couldn't find the sale details for my Fosbery. But it maybe worth giving them a try.