Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

‘C’ Battery190 Brigade RFA

oscarquebec

I am researching my grandfather Arthur Robert Wake born 1890 in Wandsworth London. He was one of four siblings to serve in the Great War. Unfortunately most of his military records are lost but thanks to LLT we know that 190 Brigade was raised in Wimbledon in 1915 and sent to France in May 1916. I would appreciate more information on the deployment of 190 Brigade particularly 'C' Battery.I have a photograph of my grandfather as a member of the Battery Cross Country Team dated 1919 apparently taken in Cologne, any ideas about that? I also have a reasonable photograph of 'C' Battery that I think was taken in 1915 if anyoneis interested.

Many thanks

gd

You will have seen from the LLT that the Brigade was attached to 41 Division for the duration of the war:

http://www.1914-1918.net/41div.htm

and scroll down to Div Artillery to see that CXC Brigade (190) was a Divisional asset.

There are two War Diaries covering the Brigade's war,it served in France and Flanders and was also posted with the Division to Italy for 3 months before returning once more to F&F:

From May 1916 to Oct 1917,and Feb 1918 to Oct 1919 the Diary is WO95/2625. The latter portion would cover it's duties inside Germany after the Armistice,as some Divisions were posted there for a period.

From Nov 1917 to Feb 1918 the Diary for Italy is WO95/4242.

Neither of these Diaries are yet digitised so need to be read at Kew if you are thinking of getting the full story. All of the Batteries (usually four)accounts will be included in the one file,even though at the time they might have been deployed seperately.

Sotonmate

gd.wmfinch

You have a similar interest,so I am bringing this next to the other thread !

Sotonmate

I would be very interested to see the officers and NCOs of the Bty (the most obviously identifiable) - if that could be posted. One may be (2?)Lt John Selby Chadwick Peile kia 2/6/17 with C/190th . The Battery Serjeant Major in 1917 was BSM Albert Edward Wharton (14290) and a Major (John Charles?) Callaghan was in charge I believe.

This photograph has been re touched in Photoshop. I have the original entitled "C" Battery 190th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. My grandfather is second row 8th from the left. I would be interested to have the names of any other of the officers or men. I would guess the photograph was taken in 1915. I am happy to send a higher resolution copy to anyone interested.

post-86894-0-24148700-1336063936.jpg

This photograph has been re touched in Photoshop from a post card size photograph. I'm guessing it wasd taken in Wimbledon in 1915. I think my grandfather is front row nearest the camera. The large sign reads Shoeing and Forge H. Cable. The furthest sign reads Buffalo Dining Room. In the background is the faint outline of a church. Any ideas as to location?

post-86894-0-16990800-1331232389.jpg

This photograph has been heavily re touched in Photoshop from a post card size photograph. I'm guessing it was taken somewhere on the Western Front. The original is marked "C" Battery 190 RFA but sadly the date is too blurred to be of any use. My grandfather is front row right.

post-86894-0-70162000-1331232759.jpg

This photograph has been re touched in Photoshop but clearly shows "C" Battery 190 Brigade Cross Country Team in Cologne 1919. Again I would be interested to put names to faces, My grandfather in front row 5 th from left.

post-86894-0-10064200-1331233063.jpg

Some very evocative shots. Any more?

Roger

The Surrey Directory for 1913 has Cable, Henry, Farrier, 2 St Mark's place (see http://www.historicaldirectories.org it's on image 483), so could be St Mark's in background. The street is still there and can be found on Google maps. Quite a short spur running NE off Wimbledon Hill Road. Looks like the original church is gone though, but original buildings on corner possibly. Could be Wimbledon Library just behind the ranks of men?

Thank you, that's really helpful I knew someone would have the answer.

• 6 months later...
Guest Kiwitommy

I am researching Edward John Bray, my Grandfather, originally from Cornwall. He emmigrated to New Zealand in 1921. I have a photo of him when he was 93 (he lived to 99) holding a document which carries the honour of announcing the glad tidings of the Armistice which fell to the London Division Artillery and the parade which ended WWI. It states that during the ceremony Major Bray MC commanded C Battery of the 190th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, which fired a 101 gun salute over the Rhine at Cologne on June 28 1919.

Any photographs and other background information is most welcolme.

I have some notes that suggest one C Battery c/o was Major J ? O? Callaghan

and a BSM Albert Edward Wharton DCM (14290) (20/10/1916 - …)

and Lt John Selby Chadwick Peile kia 2/6/17 C/190th

• 8 months later...

I was lucky to find this site while searching for information on 190 Brigade.

My grandfather was Gunner H.E. Slater C Battery. It's amazing to think that he may be a face in the Battery photos above. Records show he embarked Southampton 4 May 15 disembarked Le Havre 5 May and was admitted to 15 (unidentified) wounded in action with a GSW to buttock on 23 Sept 16.

I would be very interested to find out what the 15, I assume first line medical unit, was and where it was located on 23 September.

• 1 year later...
Guest David Hunt

I have just joined the 'Great War Forum', and interested in researching my father Frederick Middleton Hunt. He was in the RFA and was stationed at Waterloo Barracks 1st April 1916. I do not have his 'Attestation form', but believe he could have only just have joined up shortly prior to this date as he was only 17 years and 6 months old, at that time. I do not know for certain that he was in 'C' Battery 190 Brigade, but he did live in Wimbledon then with his parents, so would think it was likely. I have a photo of him in uniform on a horse ( etched J2300 ), another looking very young standing with a riding crop and another wearing spurs, so think it likely that he was part of the riding team. I believe he was gassed at some time, it may have been in June of 1917 as he was at YMCA Hut, Swanage, Dorset on leave 1st July 1917. If anyone can help with any information it would be much appreciated. I have seen a photo of troops lined up in St Marks Place, Wimbledon sometime in 1915, I can confirm the location is correct as I lived nearby in the 50/60's. As children we would often go to see horses shod at the Farriers, and my sister was married at St Marks Church to the rear of the photo.

Hi David,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a Medal Index Card (MIC) for a Gunner Frederick M. Hunt in the RFA with number L/45291. This number was given out at Wimbledon on September 26 or 27, 1915 and is part of a batch for 190th Brigade RFA so fits well. C Battery of 190 Brigade went to France in early May 1916, so if your father was in the battery he was most probably held back due to his age and may have re-joined them later, or indeed another battery. It is hard to tell as there don't seem to be any other records forthcoming and the MIC has no extra awards apart from the British and Victory medals.

Guest David Hunt

Hi David,

many thanks for the excellent information. I had already seen the medal card for Frederick M Hunt with number L/45291, which tallies with his medals. Is there an index card for the numbers that you were able to trace to September 1915?, if so I would like a copy if at all possible. His birthdate was 3rd November 1898. so he would only have been 16 years and 11 months old then. Do you know if there was any cadet force attached to this unit, that he may have enrolled, until of full enlistment age? His rank on the MIC appears to be Gnr, which I assume is ' gunner '. I have always been unsure of his number as I had read that they were always 6 digits and not 5.

• 1 year later...

My uncle Lionel H. Cobb of Effra Road Wimbledon served as a gunner in the 190th Brigade ,Royal Field Artillery but was in A battery.  He died of wounds on 20 th September 1917 aged 19 years.

His number was 

L/45088

He lies in Godewaersvelde British Cemetry, just in France but near the Belgian border.

Any further info. Appreciated.

my father was the only survivor of both wars from that family....his father owned a newspaper and sweet shop in Effra Road

Hello Sotonmate,

many thanks for that......after tea, I'll sit down and read this thread properly.  Much appreciated.

V/R

Wayne

• 10 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2012 at 18:37, oscarquebec said:

This photograph has been re touched in Photoshop. I have the original entitled "C" Battery 190th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. My grandfather is second row 8th from the left. I would be interested to have the names of any other of the officers or men. I would guess the photograph was taken in 1915. I am happy to send a higher resolution copy to anyone interested.

Hello is there any chance of a blow up of this photo I am intereste in Lieutenants on front row many thanks Sean

• 1 year later...
On 08/03/2012 at 18:37, oscarquebec said:

Hey, is there any chance I could have a copy of any pictures you have of C battery? I've just stumbled across this thread having just discovered an ancestor involved in the first world war. Gunner John O'Brien, 6416, was a part of C battery but died on the 24th October 1916. We have no pictures of him and it's fascinating to think he might be somewhere in those pictures. I'm still trying to find out when exactly he enlisted, but this could be the closest I'll ever get to a picture of him. Thank you so much for putting so much effort into these amazing photographs.

Aaron

• Admin

Oscar hasn't visited since January. Once you have made two posts you can use private messenger to contact him.

Michelle 

Back on line now. Always very happy to share anything I have.

Mal

• 4 years later...

@oscarquebec Over past 5 years I have been gradually writing up the lifestories of the 305 men named on the Board of Trade war memorial - one of those men is Wheeler Staff Sergeant Henry Harper. He served with C Battery, 190th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. I wonder if he is in your group photo? According to his medal card he served in France from 31 May 1915 onwards and awarded the 1915 star. He died on 30 April 1916. I find that confusing as the brigade didn't arrive in France until May 1916 according to what I have read elsewhere. 
Anyway, if he was in the same brigade, I wondered if I could publish your photo on the blog - https://boardoftradewarmemorial.wordpress.com Thanks Ed Osborne