Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9093 Pte OL Edwards

ChrisC

I have a set of 3 for this soldier, 1914 Star (Aug - Nov) War & Victory. I've had them years, I don't know where they appeared from and the only other thing on the medals is 2 R Berks.

Any pals have details of this man's service?

Much appreciated

Chris:

From the CWGC:

gordon

Casualty Details

Name: EDWARDS, OWEN LAURENCE

Initials: O L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Berkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 9093

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 11 D

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

HI Chris

First day battle of the Somme casualty! :o Better call your insurance man the way 1/7/16 casualty groups are going!

Seriously nice group have you put a search request out for his plaque? That would be the icing on the cake.

Just out of interest how long have you had them? Can you remember what you paid?

If it is "years ago" I bet it was a lot less than the 400, 500, 600 (who knows) they would go for on e-bay today.

It is very sad really the way medal prices are escalating out of control. Certainly the top level Gallantry groups (well out of my price range anyway) are now being bought by investment trusts and pension funds!

The pleasure in medal collecting for me has always been to take that pair or trio out of the junk shop window or church hall sale and uncover the person behind the medal/s. Try and breathe some life back into that inanimate object, then share, treasure, honour and respect that persons memory. I am content to know there will always be a story and sometimes even a face reunited with the medals for future generations to see. Profit short or long term has never been a consideration, funny though if I had all the groups that have passed through my hands today I would be able to retire to the carribean! :D

Regards

Paul.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I have a set of 3 for this soldier, 1914 Star (Aug - Nov) War & Victory. I've had them years, I don't know where they appeared from and the only other thing on the medals is 2 R Berks.

Any pals have details of this man's service?

Much appreciated

I wish I just had groups like this hanging around.............. ;)

Guys...

WOW! I didn't pay anything for this group. As I said, they have been around the family for ages, but so far as I know there is no family connection. Maybe they were given to my Dad for some reason??

I shall keep them extra safe now!

Kingsman 64 - fully agree with your sentiments, Paul! I'd like to give them back to an appreciative grandson/ daughter - if such exists. Ideally on the Somme on the 1st.

gord - thanks again for great information. By the way, on a previous thread, on which you assisted, I'm still looking for my grandfather & great grandfather. Tried Surrey History Centre for Queen's Regiment, (grandad), - no go, and awaiting reply from the MOD Disclosures Dept.

We live in hope.

Chris