Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the cenotaph

andy 1

does anybody think like i do that the area around the cenotaph should be permanently closed to traffic,and pedestrianised.so that it can become a permanent place of rememberance.a place where people can have there thoughts in peace and quiet.

regards

andy1

Considering where it is, I think it could be difficult.

Are there not also security issues, i,e if it was closed off would there not be a traffic flow problem post- a major incident.

Just surmising.

Hi Andy,

Its a nice idea,but I don't think its going to happen,the security services certainly don't want any more people to contend with in such close proximety to Downing St,they try not to encourage people hanging around there as it is.

There was I believe a proposal by Ken Livingstone sometime ago to eventually pedestrianise the whole of Whitehall and all of Parliament Square except its south side,but I've not heard anything about it recently.

I must say,although I like the idea of people having easier access to the Cenotaph,I myself have frequently wanted to look at the wreaths and tributes there,as a London cabbie I really don't think any more pedestrianisation schemes in the area are workable.

Stu.