Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge dates and info

pioneecorps

Hi All

My Granddaughter is a Member of the Air Cadets, she will be taken to her Cadet night, my RFC, RAF, RAF cap badges, what I would like to know,(1) the Royal Flying Corp badge, what date was this badge first issued, and what rank/ranks would have worn it, (2) the Royal Air Force Badge, what rank/ranks would have worn it, (3) The staybright, Queens Crown Royal Air Force badge, I take it came out in 1955.

Regards.

Gerwyn

R.F.C = May 1912,R.A.F 1918/19 I am sure one of the Air Force experts will be along soon.

Gary.

Hi Gary

Thank you for your information.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Served in the RAF 1957-1963, always wore a brass badge although 'staybrite' seemed common for some Army units, I cannot recall staybrite RAF cap/beret badges.

tony P

Served in the RAF 1957-1963, always wore a brass badge although 'staybrite' seemed common for some Army units, I cannot recall staybrite RAF cap/beret badges.

tony P

Hi Tony P

I found the Royal Flying Corps was formed 1912 from personnel of the Royal Engineers, they became the Royal Air Force in 1917, what I would like to have known, would only Officers have worn the Royal Flying Corps cap badge, the staybright R A F badge, the one I have, has the Queens Crown, would yours still have the Kings Crown.

Regards.

Gerwyn

RAF-STAYBRIGHT.gif

All ranks wore the "RFC" crowned laurel badge Officers in Bronze [badge No: 2] ORs in gilding metal [badge No 1]{a type of Brass} :thumbsup:

post-2388-0-89305100-1330981010.jpg

post-2388-0-39346100-1330981031.jpg

Hi Harry

Thank you Mate :thumbsup: .

You have cleared up two points for me, (1 ) they were worn my Offcers and other ranks, (2) the one I have is a Officers, I did not know there was a brass RFC.

Regards.

Gerwyn

RFC.JPEG

The RAF was 'born' 1st April 1918. The brass/GM badge was not the 1st used by other ranks, and I am also not sure if it came into use at the very end of 1918 or 1919.

I expect you know there was a 'brass' Queens Crown cap badge before the a/a one. I wore a brass QC badge during the 1980's and had no bother over it. I only used the a/a-staybright ones painted black for use at night(doghandler). I bought a number of Queen's crown brass badges at one time and sold them on to other guys on the Dog Section and Police Flight. Regards, Paul. Just found this on the British Badge Forum- http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15564

Hi Paul

Thank you Mate for all this information, I did not know there was a brass RAF, QC cap badge, I will now put it down on paper, so when my Granddaughter takes the RAF cap badges to her Air Cadet night, she can explain the history of them.

I will have to start reading my books, I came accross this in one of them;

ORIGINS OF THE RAF REGIMENT. The Royal Flying Corps formed from elements of the Royal Engineer Balloon and Kite units in 1912, and adapted the Sapper badge with addition of the monogram RFC, later altered to RAF, on its formation in 1918. During the 1914-18 War area defence of airfields was provided by Royal Artillery units, with RFC manning machine gun posts for close anti-aircraft defence, there is another two pages, of the history of the RAF.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Paul

Thank you again for this further information, interesting the RFC and RAF badges that were examples of copies, I supose, you would need to have a genuine example of the badge, to decide./check on it. or do they stand out as copies.

The one I have, " see photo", I would say was a copy.

Cheers.

Gerwyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony P

I found the Royal Flying Corps was formed 1912 from personnel of the Royal Engineers, they became the Royal Air Force in 1917, what I would like to have known, would only Officers have worn the Royal Flying Corps cap badge, the staybright R A F badge, the one I have, has the Queens Crown, would yours still have the Kings Crown.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Gerwyn, Kings Crown, in fact I still have one however I have looked up some group photographs from 1961 period and the badges are mixed. Both Kings and Queens crown are evident. RAF formed 1.4,1918. The Queens Crown would be 'staybrite' at that time. Like 'Wardog' I was an RAFP Dog Handler.

Tony P

RAF-STAYBRIGHT.gif

Gerwyn, Kings Crown, in fact I still have one however I have looked up some group photographs from 1961 period and the badges are mixed. Both Kings and Queens crown are evident. RAF formed 1.4,1918. The Queens Crown would be 'staybrite' at that time. Like 'Wardog' I was an RAFP Dog Handler.

Tony P

Hi Tony P

Cheers Mate, I've now started sorting the cap badges in to glass a frame, ( trying to find a nice blue cloth as the background ) in order of date issued, starting with the Sappers. then RFC. RAF, I'm still stuck on the date of the a/a QC, my Grandaughter's, Air Training Corps badge will be in the frame, she wore her uniform last night for the first time, I was very Proud of her, it reminded me of when I was in the Rhondda Sea Cadets, a long time ago now.

Cheers.

Gerwyn

I'd quite like to know for sure that the QC brass badge was made in the mid 1950's and was not a badge made later on. The ones I bought were all 'mint'. If I remember they were about £2 each in 1985. Cheers, Paul.