Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Visitor Centre Dedication Ceremony

Cynthia

Will any Pals be making the trip to the Thiepval Visitor Centre Dedication on Monday, September 27th? It is a ticket-only affair, but I am sure some of you are already planning to be there. Perhaps if we know who is going (and if you are going on your own or via Eurostar) we might be able to identify each other and meet up. Perhaps even stand together as a proud Pals Company!

At this point I will only be in France for the one day, unless things change and we may be back later that week. Hope to see some of you there!

Cynthia

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sanfermin

we will be in thionville on the 27 and that cant be very far from there. tell me more about whats going on and i think that would be great. i will be with my petite amis and we would be happy to meet new friends. i will trade dine' et vin rouge for info and conversation. we'll be in verdun on the 28 and 29 also :)

I was in the Somme last week and popped in to have a nose round. Obviously the main display/info area is still under construction but I was really pleased to see they have set aside a large well stocked book shop.

I was one of the anti's when this project was mooted but having seen it in it's true low profile form I think I have probably changed my mind!

I was in the Somme last week and popped in to have a nose round. Obviously the main display/info area is still under construction but I was really pleased to see they have set aside a large well stocked book shop.

One down side of it is that all the British books (Battleground Europe etc) are at least 20% more expensive than the cover price. But it is nice to see a good selction of French books, without having to go all the way to the Historial in Peronne.

But it is nice to see a good selction of French books, without having to go all the way to the Historial in Peronne

Could not agree more. BTW Paul, what have they done at the entrance to Lochnagar? I had not been for a year or so - the pathway seems a good idea but the anti-tank type obstacles seem a bit overkill. Do people really try and drive vehicles up to the crater?

Yes, I am not entirely sure what to think of the 'new design' entrance to Lochnagar - the work was commissioned by Richard Dunning and the Friends and carried out by a local Somme builder to their specifications. Your description of 'anti-tank' obsticles is very apt!

Any chance of attending Pals to post a photo of the proceedings and also a photo of the changes to Lochnagar?

Much appreciated by a distant Pal :D

BTW Paul, was rapt in your walk and photos.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I won't be at the ceremony, but I will try and get a photo of Lochnagar for you when the weather improves; it is awful on the Somme right now!