Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hobson bayonet frogs

trajan

I know very little about bayonet frogs but on a whim I bought these two leather ones a couple of months back for display purposes, as I was under the impression these were the right type for the P 1888, 1903 and 1907 bayonets until early in WWI. They are both marked HOBSON and nicely made, and in excellent unused condition. The only information that the vendor could supply was that they came to him in a job lot 'some yearsago'; that they smelled musty (and they still do!), and that they may or may not be original. So, me'learned friends, any ideas? Excellently made reproductions (and if so cheap at the price), or originals (and if so, again, cheap at the price!).

TIAdvance!

Trajan

PS: two more photo's to come

post-69449-0-11323800-1330453051.jpg

post-69449-0-54923000-1330453073.jpg

Here are the other two photo's

Trajan

post-69449-0-82779100-1330453223.jpg

post-69449-0-53878800-1330453238.jpg

They look ok to me, though it's hard to be sure without a bigger photo of the front. No reason why they can't be correct and in excellent condition - it often happens.

Thanks Wainfleet, Here we go!

Trajan

post-69449-0-03217800-1330470851.jpg

Some regimental bands got additional ones made in the 1950s after the stock of originals was exhausted. Buff frogs were also procured by the Guards for the various odds and ends of Slade Wallace equipment used for Public Duties battalions.

Some regimental bands got additional ones made in the 1950s after the stock of originals was exhausted...

That's nice to know, thanks. One small detail that did intrigue me was that there are slight differences between them re: the buckles and 'belt' loops - oh, and the rivets are different too. So, not exactly the same pattern and method of manufacture, possibly indicating made at different times, not as part of a single lot. But whether original or not, I am certainly pleased with them!:rolleyes:

Trajan