Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Military Districts

marc leroux

I was reading a social history of Canada last night and they made mention of 4 areas in Quebec that were counted as part of the Cornwall, Ontario area. Would anyone have any idea where these would bave been?

TIA

marc

Marc, could you clarify by what the term area means? Counties?

There appears to be a similar division in WW2, with some Montreal men having C numbers. (C being the alpha prefix used for MD 3.) MD 3 is eastern Ontario and appears to be areas bordering Montreal and northwest of Montreal in the province of Quebec. However this is based on WW2 information.

It is likely counties, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll try to find the context again in the book. I'm wondering if the group from South West Quebec I am researching was included in the Ontario numbers. Quite a number signed up in eastern Ontario.

marc

The question came up from "Canada and the age of conflict" by C.P. Stacey (which my wife cannot understand why I wold bring on vacation, but that is another story).

There is a footnote that states: "If this were the case, it would involve the figures for four thinly-populated counties in western Quebec which were part of Military District 3 (headquarters Kingston) being added to Ontario and lost to Quebec".

A number of the men from SW Quebec went to Kingston for their attestation after being conscripted.

marc