Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Llewelyn Crichton Davies MC

Terry_Reeves

I have been rearching Lt L.C. Davies for some time now and have gathered a fair amount of information about his military career.

He appears to have been a pre-war territorial serving with 5th Bn Cameronians, a Glasgow based unit, starting the war a Cpl, later gaining a commission in the same battalion. I have the citation details for his MC which was won serving with 19th Trench Mortar Battery at High Wood in 1916 and war diary details. In 1917 he transferred to the RFC as a observer/gunner. I have details of his squadron service and his "kills". Sadly he was killed in a flying accident on Salisbury Plain in March 1918 and is buried in Penton Mewsey Churchyard near Andover.

What I lack is any personal information about this man. If any forum member can help with information of this nature, or the whereabouts of a photograph of him, I would be pleased to hear from them.

Finally, does anybody know if boards of enquiries were held into flying accidents, and if so do the transcripts still exsist?

Terry Reeves

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Terry,

Don't know if this will help but I have seen reports from Boards of Enquiry relating to 2 fatal accidents attached to the personal records of the RFC pilots while researching my grandfather's Squadron. However the report was not repeated in the respective observers' service files. I wonder if this was a deliberate policy or just two coincidental omissions. If the former is true and your man was not a pilot perhaps this is why the report is absent from his service file (?)

Ian :huh:

Ian

Thanks for that. His service record appears not to have survived so the story has had to be pieced together from a variety of other sources. Whether he was still an observer at that stage or he was re-training to be a pilot I don't know. Like most research into individuals, it is a matter of keep on digging.

Terry Reeves

Finally, does anybody know if boards of enquiries were held into flying accidents, and if so do the transcripts still exsist?

I know that when looking at an officers papers you can sometimes be lucky and see that he/family has requsted a copy of the Board of Enquiries and they are included in his papers.

Conor :D

An inquest may well have been held by the local coroner. I found and extensive account of an inquest into the death of an RFC officer in the local newspaper closest to his airfield.

The RAF Museum Hendon and their archives should hold details of all RFC deaths too. Give them a try!

Simon

Terry

Just received 4 casualty cards from Hendon. Attached to one was the Board of Enquiry conclusion into the fatal accident (which seems to be pilot error)

John

Terry,

From Du Rivgny Vol IV

DAVIES, Llewellyn Crighton M.C.

The son of the late William Henry Davies, editor of the Cardiff Figaro by his wife Hanna the daughter f the late David Crighton of Forfar, born Cardiff 9 Jan 1889, educ. Cardiff and Halifax; was a chartered accountant; joined 5th Bttn The Scottish Rifles 4th Aug 1914; received a commission and was gazetted 2nd ltin the regiment in March 1915; promoted Lieut July 1917; served with the Expeditionary Force in Franceand Flanders from Nov1914; transferring to the R.F.C. ib Feb 1917; obtained his wings in March 1918 and died at Sommerville Hospital, Oxford on the 16th of that month as a resul;t of a flying accident on the 13th. Buried at Penton near Andover. He was awarded the M.C. (London Gazette Aug 1915) for an act of approved gallantry.

Kevin

Brilliant. Many thanks. Not only does that fill in the gaps but also gives me a few clues as to where to look for a photograph.

If anybody is in the vicinity of Penton Mewsey, near Andover, the churchyard is worth visiting. There is a small plot at the back containing the graves RFC men and is a very pretty spot as well.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

I recently photographed a plaque regarding those who worked at the Port Talbot Steelworks, South Wales and were KIA.

Not at all sure but have a vague recollection of seeing a similar name on the plaque. Film almost finished, once developed (next week or so) if it is him I'll e-mail you details.

Bernard Lewis

Sorry Terry, the memory is going. Double barrrelled name but not your man I'm afraid.

Bernard Lewis

• 11 years later...

I've just come across this man on a church memorial plaque in Queen's Park, Glasgow.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic6872.html

Llewellyn Crighton Davies was living at 20 Darnley Road, Pollockshields and was an accountant.

I have found the citation for his Military Cross in The Edinburgh Gazette

Publication date:28 August 1916 Issue:12978Page:1516

"2nd Lt. Llewellyn Crighton Davies, Sco. Rif.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He handled his trench-mortars with great skill,and knocked out an enemy machine-gun that was holding up the advance. He also took charge of various parties that had lost their officers, and brought in single-handed a wounded man under heavy fire."

but I cannot trace the award (or citation) in the London Gazette and I note that his entry on the CWGC Register does not have his MC.

Does anyone have a contact in the CWGC to investigate a correction?

Ken

Thanks for the photographs.

I have visited his grave couple of times but decided , for my own reasons, to leave the omission of his MC alone.

I have been in contact with some of his relatives in New Zealand who kindly sent me several photographs of him and the coroners report from the inquest.

His action with the TMB was at High Wood and he is mentioned in TMB war diary.

TR