Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enemy Aliens in Eastern Europe and the ease of crossing borders in war

Guest Morgoth

Hello folks..

I am writing a piece of war-related fiction and would appreciate some help with this as I can't seem to find much about it elsewhere.

Does anyone have any information on what would have happened to 'enemy aliens' in countries such as Romania during the Great war?

The specific situation I am pondering is what would happen to an Austrian born person in Romania at the point where Romania joined the war, though general information would be useful too.

As a side note, I assume that embassy workers would be assured a safe exit?

How quickly do you think the borders between warring countries such as between Romania and Hungary and Bulgaria would become impassable? After declaring war, would there be an immediate attempt to make the borders between the countries impassable (I assume the rail services would immediately stop?) and how widespread would this be? Basically I'm wondering how easy it would be for an enemy alien to leave the country after the outbreak of war, what sort of problems they would encounter when trying, and so on.

It was the established custom supported by international law in all the belligerents that the diplomatic staff from opposing countries be assisted to leave, usually via a neutral country but if this route was not available using flags of truce to cross the lines'

All other Austrians and Hungarians in Romania were rounded up and sent to Centre de internare (Internment Centers). There was a special postal service established so they could write home. The Internment centres were established in a few specific regions of the country - unfortunately I don't know which ones.

Thank you very much! Do you know anything about what the borders would be like? Like whether or not at first it would be possible to pass them when war first broke out, what sort of controls there's generally be on border crossing once the war had fully started, and so on? Would it be possible to pass between countries at quieter parts of the country?