Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer unknown regiment

high wood

Hi,

Notice the difference in the patina. I've had this since 1963.

Hi

I can see what your saying, it only shows up lighter ( patina ) after scanning it.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Hi All,

I have checked many WW1 N.F. officer portraits and certainly agree that there appears to be no set pattern for the wearing of collar badges, however, it does appear that regular officers did not generally wear the collars in service dress and except wore the shoulder titles--see the last to photos produced by Frogsmile. The only collars worn by regular officers appear to be the bullion type worn on the No1? Dress.

It would also seem to be general practice for all territorial officers to wear the collar badges with the addition of the 'T' beneath, but with no shoulder titles. Also many of the service battalions seem to have worn the collar badges but with no shoulder title. It may be of course that as the war progressed the wearing of collar badges diminished due to shortages in supply and officers only wore the cap and shoulder badges as identification.

In "Irish Heroes in The War", the group photos of T.I. officers show them all wearing the normal N.F. badge and collars, it is not possible to see if they have any shoulder titles. By contrast the T.S. officers had their own badges and, I believe, shoulder titles.

Robert

Robert - Agree and I think every photo that both John and I have ever seen of NF officer groups, especially the Service and Territorial Bn's, do indeed show the wearing of SD bronzed collar badges(at least three patterns) excluding the TS, who had their own. Why the two regular battalions chose to abandon their's has never really been fully explained, even in the 'SGG's' or 'Digest of Service' and it's only to be seen in the 1916 copy of SO's. The tradition seems to have continued from then, as I can't recall seeing the regulars in later groups wearing them or on the introduction of the new cap badge c.1935 in silver & gilt.

Toby when I get the chance I'll dig out my SO's and post my finding as an attachment. Thinking back to the four copies I have of Northumberland SO's, I think it's only the 1916 edition that mention it.

Robert - Agree and I think every photo that both John and I have ever seen of NF officer groups, especially the Service and Territorial Bn's, do indeed show the wearing of SD bronzed collar badges(at least three patterns) excluding the TS, who had their own. Why the two regular battalions chose to abandon their's has never really been fully explained, even in the 'SGG's' or 'Digest of Service' and it's only to be seen in the 1916 copy of SO's. The tradition seems to have continued from then, as I can't recall seeing the regulars in later groups wearing them or on the introduction of the new cap badge c.1935 in silver & gilt.

Toby when I get the chance I'll dig out my SO's and post my finding as an attachment. Thinking back to the four copies I have of Northumberland SO's, I think it's only the 1916 edition that mention it.

My guess is that it was to maintain a dignified distance from "those damned part timers and hostilities only Johnnies" whistle.png

My guess is that it was to maintain a dignified distance from "those damned part timers and hostilities only Johnnies" whistle.png

Probably right - "bloody impostors. Wait until we get back to real soldiering" :D