Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Names and Ranks on Medals

DCLI

Excuse my ignorance - again.

Why do medals which were issued after the war, a trio, for example, have different ranks? ie if a man started out as a private and ended up as a sergeant, why didn't they all have the latest rank impressed? I can understand gallantry medals because they were issued during the war, but the Stars, BWM and VM - weren't they issued after the war, in one go?

Thank you

Anthony

Anthony,

I can only assume as in my Uncle's case that the Star was awarded to him as a Cpl as that was his rank in 1914 whilst serving in France.

Hie BWM and VM bear the Rank Sgt which was his rank on his death in 1918.

George

The Rank on the Star is the Highest Rank achieved during the qualifying period for that Star,The Rank on the BWM/AVM is usually the Rank held @ the Cessation of Hostilities,{& Not always the Higher Rank,often one sees Sgt/Cpl on Star & Pte On Pair},S'easy really :rolleyes:

Also the Stars were issued first circa 1919~21,the Pair followed anytime from around 1921 onwards to around 1923/4

Harry BettsMCDCM wrote:

The Rank on the Star is the Highest Rank achieved during the qualifying period for that Star,The Rank on the BWM/AVM is usually the Rank held @ the Cessation of Hostilities,{& Not always the Higher Rank,often one sees Sgt/Cpl on Star & Pte On Pair},S'easy really

The rank on the BWM/VM is not the rank held on the cessation of hostilities. Rather it is the highest rank held in a theater of war. Many officers and men held higher ranks at the cessation of hostilities than what is on their BWM/VM, but those higher ranks were gained in the UK rather than in a theater of war. Regards. Dick Flory